Number of document libraries per site RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

What's the maximum number of document libraries you can have on one site in Sharepoint 2013?

Regards,

Bart

Friday, December 21, 2012 1:19 PM

Answers

• Proposed as answer by bettany Friday, December 21, 2012 5:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:01 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Its not specified directly in the above link, but you can derive it based on your requirement

Maximum no of items including list item and document in  a content database is 60 Million

Maximum no of items a list can have is 30,000,000 per library i.e 30 million, so roughly you can have 2 million list in a site collection each list having 30,000,000 items

from support perspective so you can 2 million list in one site in a site collection or divided it into the number of sites you plan to have in you site collection accordinly.

But practically not user friendly. try to keep as less as possible 

Its a rough calculation or a approach you can validate it accordingly :)

Raghavendra Shanbhag | Blog: www.SharePointColumn.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I would recommend a much lower guideline number, both for usability and performance.  In general, SharePoint does best when it only has to retrieve elements in clumps of 2000 (its reconfigurable).  Just getting and displaying the list of available libraries has a performance hit if you have more than that.  Realistically, its hard for users to navigate effectively among more than a few dozen libraries, tops, per site, in my experience.

This was much simpler in SP2003.  The answer was one library per site!  Good luck.

Chris

Chris McNulty MCSE/MCTS/MSA/MVTSP | blog http://www.chrismcnulty.net/blog | twitter @cmcnulty2000 Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:00 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 3:42 PM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by bettany Friday, December 21, 2012 5:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:01 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Its not specified directly in the above link, but you can derive it based on your requirement

Maximum no of items including list item and document in  a content database is 60 Million

Maximum no of items a list can have is 30,000,000 per library i.e 30 million, so roughly you can have 2 million list in a site collection each list having 30,000,000 items

from support perspective so you can 2 million list in one site in a site collection or divided it into the number of sites you plan to have in you site collection accordinly.

But practically not user friendly. try to keep as less as possible 

Its a rough calculation or a approach you can validate it accordingly :)

Raghavendra Shanbhag | Blog: www.SharePointColumn.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I would recommend a much lower guideline number, both for usability and performance.  In general, SharePoint does best when it only has to retrieve elements in clumps of 2000 (its reconfigurable).  Just getting and displaying the list of available libraries has a performance hit if you have more than that.  Realistically, its hard for users to navigate effectively among more than a few dozen libraries, tops, per site, in my experience.

This was much simpler in SP2003.  The answer was one library per site!  Good luck.

Chris

Chris McNulty MCSE/MCTS/MSA/MVTSP | blog http://www.chrismcnulty.net/blog | twitter @cmcnulty2000 Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:00 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 3:42 PM
  • But if the maximum number of list items including documents that can be contained in a single content database is 60 million then wouldn't that mean 30 million items * 2 list/library which will give us 60 million items?

I believe, you are trying to say that we can divide the number of items with the number of libraries and ensure that we do not cross 60 million mark. Isn't that correct?

Friday, October 28, 2016 9:24 PM