none
Windows 10 1809 RSAT Tools

Question

• I work for a school district and we just upgraded several of our PCs to Windows 10 1809.  I understand that we need to use the manage optional features to install the RSAT tools now, but we can't get them to install.  I click on add feature --> click install on the RSAT tool I want --> and it looks like its going to install but then fails.  Can anyone out there provide some insight on how to make this work?  We live and breath by using the Active Directory Users and Computers interface, so our only option at this point is to revert back to 1803... which we would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 2:57 PM

All replies

• We have same problem. Tried Admin Powershell command and also failed.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:39 PM
  • I had tried running the Add-WindowsCapability PowerShell CmdLet, with the -Source paramter pointing to the Windows 10 v1809's \Sources\sxs folder with no luck.

I found that once I modified a setting in my local computer's policy, the tools installed (using the Add-WindowsCapability CmdLet *without* the -Source parameter). Run "gpedit.msc" to edit your local computer policy (or, optionally, make the changes in Group Policy gpmc.msc if appropriate). The setting in question is: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair

My local policy seems to have defaulted to "Disabled" - after changing it to "Enabled" and selecting the checkbox labeled "Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)" the RSAT tools installed for me.

It seems these features are not in the Windows 10 v1809 ISO image, and apparently they are not [yet] available via my local WSUS server, so the answer is to force Windows to Microsoft's update servers instead.

• Edited by ToddGerbert Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by eizaguirre Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:13 PM
  • Same here. What edition are you guys running? Haven't tried other versions but definitely not working on Education version. 
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:13 PM
  • I have RSAT installed via offline installer.

https://www.microsoft.com/ru-RU/download/details.aspx?id=45520

Version Windows-RT_WS_1803.

All the rigs are working.

• Edited by Slaydroll Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Thanks, that worked for me.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:27 PM
  • That did it! Thanks!  All RSAT tools are installing for me now.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:57 PM
  • Thank you! That worked fantastic.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 5:21 PM
  • Just a note, we're rocking the education version, and the fix provided above did the trick.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Just a heads up for everyone...

When you go to MS site to download the RSAT ....There is NO need to download anything, The RSAT tools are built in, just need to be installed / activated from the  OS.

Process is  =========== And It does work ==========

Starting with Windows 10 October 2018 Update, RSAT is included as a set of "Features on Demand" right from Windows 10. Do not download an RSAT package from this page. Instead, just go to "Manage optional features" in Settings and click "Add a feature" to see the list of available RSAT tools. Select and install the specific RSAT tools you need. To see installation progress, click the Back button to view status on the "Manage optional features" page.

See the list of RSAT tools available via Features on Demand. In addition to installing via the graphical Settings app, you can also install specific RSAT tools via command line or automation using DISM /Add-Capability.

One benefit of Features on Demand is that installed features persist across Windows 10 version upgrades!

To uninstall specific RSAT tools on Windows 10 October 2018 Update or later

On Windows 10, open the Settings app, go to "Manage optional features", select and uninstall the specific RSAT tools you wish to remove. Note that in some cases, you will need to manually uninstall dependencies. Specifically, if RSAT tool A is needed by RSAT tool B, then choosing to uninstall RSAT tool A will fail if RSAT tool B is still installed. In this case, uninstall RSAT tool B first, and then uninstall RSAT tool A. Also note that in some cases, uninstalling an RSAT tool may appear to succeed even though the tool is still installed. In this case, restarting the PC will complete the removal of the tool.

Regards

RF

• Proposed as answer by LaMonda Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:24 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:57 AM
  • I ran the following Powershell cmdlet to install RSAT tools on Update RS5

Get-WindowsCapability -Online | Where-Object {($_.State -notmatch 'Installed') -and ($_.Name -match 'rsat')} | %{Add-WindowsCapability -Name $_.Name -Online}

Afterwards RSAT tools were available to me. You may need to check your policies to ensure you're pulling from MSU Servers.

• Edited by ShonThomas Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:31 AM Corrected conditional
    • Proposed as answer by Robert.Becker Friday, October 5, 2018 1:14 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:16 AM
  • The changing of the local computer policy worked for me.  Thank you!
    • Edited by All2surreal Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:51 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:50 PM
  • Thank you for that info, that was so much easier and it installed DNS as well with no extra hassle!!!
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:25 PM
  • Instala la versión WindowsTH-RSAT_WS2016-x64.msu o x86 según sea el caso, me esta funcionando sin problemas!
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:36 PM
  • I was having the same issue, via PowerShell. Our domain was blocking the tool download.  If you follow these steps it works every time for me:

To install RSAT on Windows 10 1809, you'll need to perform the following:

Change registry value to "0" for "UseWUServer" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.  Then open PowerShell as admin and run the following: 

1: restart-service <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="19" id="19">wuauserv</g>
    2: get-<g class="gr_ gr_17 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="17" id="17">windowscapability</g> -online -name <g class="gr_ gr_20 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="20" id="20">rsat</g>* | add-<g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace gr-progress" data-gr-id="18" id="18">windowscapability</g> -online

Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:24 PM
  • REMOVED - wrong information as below. Thank you for pointing that out.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Friday, October 5, 2018 3:03 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:46 PM
  • I'm not sure this DVD is the one you should use with Windows 10.
    According to my download, his size is only about 340Mb and there's no RSAT binaries inside.

The Windows 10 FOD DVDs (they are 2) are available for VisualStudio (previously MSDN) and VLSC customers. I don't know if they are available for everyone.

Gérald

Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:42 PM
  • Don't forget to run a PowerShell window as administrator and execute "update-help"

Friday, October 5, 2018 1:15 AM
  • I was having the same issue, via PowerShell. Our domain was blocking the tool download.  If you follow these steps it works every time for me:

Change registry value to "0" for "UseWUServer" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.  Then open PowerShell as admin and run the following: 

1: restart-service <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="19" id="19">wuauserv</g>
    2: get-<g class="gr_ gr_17 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="17" id="17">windowscapability</g> -online -name <g class="gr_ gr_20 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="20" id="20">rsat</g>* | add-<g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace gr-progress" data-gr-id="18" id="18">windowscapability</g> -online

This worked for me thanks.  I've created an SCCM application that runs a powershell script to change the reg key, restart the service, install the RSAT FOD, put the reg key back to "1", then restart the service again.
    Friday, October 5, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Great info and the correct solution for 1809. Thanks for posting this. Worked perfectly.

Dan Bartley

Friday, October 5, 2018 3:18 PM
  • I'm getting a "The '<' operator is reserved for future use." Any ideas?
    Friday, October 5, 2018 5:04 PM
  • I do not know what kind of machine you are on, but your comment, "=========== And It does work ==========" is not true for everyone. I've tried it on two different upgraded Windows 10 computers, on two completely different domains and neither one of them work. I do not have time to be dinking around with this. That should have been made more clear from the git go. I am installing the 1803 RSAT tools now. I have several businesses to run!<style></style>
    • Edited by ghorsman Friday, October 5, 2018 6:51 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 6:47 PM
  • I work for a school district and we just upgraded several of our PCs to Windows 10 1809.  I understand that we need to use the manage optional features to install the RSAT tools now, but we can't get them to install.  I click on add feature --> click install on the RSAT tool I want --> and it looks like its going to install but then fails.  Can anyone out there provide some insight on how to make this work?  We live and breath by using the Active Directory Users and Computers interface, so our only option at this point is to revert back to 1803... which we would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks!

I sorted out by taking my machine off the domain, then install the RSAT built-in apps that failed, then once done put my machine back on the domain. Perfect!!
    Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:31 PM

1: restart-service wuauserv
    2: get-windowscapability -online -name rsat* | add-windowscapability -online

Worked. Thanks.
    Monday, October 8, 2018 3:54 PM
  • Thank you very much, this worked around it for me.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:40 AM
  • Anyone else having issues using some of the AD tools?

If I open my existing custom MMC, a lot of the AD snap ins don't work or give errors.

If I try to load the tools from administrative tools, they simply don't load.

James

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Thanks this helped me at work today :)
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:24 AM
  • Anyone else having issues using some of the AD tools?

If I open my existing custom MMC, a lot of the AD snap ins don't work or give errors.

If I try to load the tools from administrative tools, they simply don't load.

James

I have just gone ahead and installed the standalone RSAT installer I used on previous builds which resolves my issue.

James

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:34 AM
  • I'm having the same problem as James is - If I try loading ADUC or any AD MMC, nothing happens. I do get a red X in the Application log that mmc crashed on a .dll. 

I've opened a support case with Microsoft to sort it out.

Orange County District Attorney

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:51 PM
  • Perfect.  Thanks for this.  Much better way of addressing RSAT.  I did have to reboot after the installs.
    • Proposed as answer by Nimrod11089 Tuesday, October 16, 2018 2:33 PM
    • Edited by Nimrod11089 Tuesday, October 16, 2018 2:35 PM more info
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 2:33 PM
  • We fixed our issue with help from Microsoft. We had updated several of our systems to 1809 from the .ISO on the VLCS site. We added the AD tools along with DCHP, DNS after the update but the AD tools kept crashing and not loading. We tried removing them but could not.

After hours of troubleshooting, Microsoft went into Programs and Features and checked the box for the AD Lightweight option and suddenly all the AD RSAT tools worked. Go figure.

Odd thing, we have a few systems that are enrolled in Azure AD Intune that upgraded nicely and the AD tools loaded fine on their own. These systems are not managed by our SCCM infrastructure so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure. Just glad to be back.

Orange County District Attorney

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 3:52 PM
  • This worked for me as well, thank you very much.
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:36 PM
  • So in the past I had the opportunity to:

- Download the offline RSAT package, add it to my OS binaries (dism /add-package) and disable it from the end user (dism /disable-feature)

Now I do not have the same kind of choice anymore because FODs are either installed or not, you cannot hide (disable) them in an offline environment?

• Edited by Narcoticoo Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:31 PM
  • worked perfectly :)
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:18 PM

This worked for me thanks.  I've created an SCCM application that runs a powershell script to change the reg key, restart the service, install the RSAT FOD, put the reg key back to "1", then restart the service again.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to do :) great minds and all

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:19 PM
  • So RSAT will not be available anymore to download additionally? Is that so?

Found a command line for installation, didn't try that yet:

DISM.exe /Online /add-capability /CapabilityName:Rsat.ActiveDirectory.DS-LDS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.BitLocker.Recovery.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.CertificateServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.DHCP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.Dns.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.FailoverCluster.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.FileServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.GroupPolicy.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.IPAM.Client.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.LLDP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.NetworkController.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.NetworkLoadBalancing.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.RemoteAccess.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.RemoteDesktop.Services.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.ServerManager.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.Shielded.VM.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.StorageReplica.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.VolumeActivation.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.WSUS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.StorageMigrationService.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.SystemInsights.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:41 PM
  • So RSAT will not be available anymore to download additionally? Is that so?

Found a command line for installation, didn't try that yet:

DISM.exe /Online /add-capability /CapabilityName:Rsat.ActiveDirectory.DS-LDS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.BitLocker.Recovery.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.CertificateServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.DHCP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.Dns.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.FailoverCluster.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.FileServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.GroupPolicy.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.IPAM.Client.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.LLDP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.NetworkController.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.NetworkLoadBalancing.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.RemoteAccess.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.RemoteDesktop.Services.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.ServerManager.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.Shielded.VM.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.StorageReplica.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.VolumeActivation.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.WSUS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.StorageMigrationService.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 /CapabilityName:Rsat.SystemInsights.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

You can also use Add-WindowsCapability -Online -cmdlet to add the capabilities. VLSC also offers Features on Demand -media that includes the .cab packages for RSAT so you can use that media to install these without Internet connection...

Friday, November 16, 2018 5:10 PM
  • I just upgraded to 1809.   MMC did not work.   Looked like it was missing all of the plugins.   However, all I had to do was to run the RSAT install for Windows 2016 (WindowsTH-RSAT_WS2016-x64.msu) again and everything came back.   None of the other fixes worked.

"MC"

Monday, November 19, 2018 1:52 PM
  • this is bs. 

tried the suggestion...first line.

At line:1 char:17
    + restart-service <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards ...
    +                 ~
    The '<' operator is reserved for future use.
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RedirectionNotSupported

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:27 PM
  • CLEAR-HOST
    $Caps = dism /online /get-capabilities | Where {$_ -match ".Rsat."}
    Foreach ($Cap in $Caps)
    {
        $Cap
        $TempCap = $Cap.Split(":")[1].TrimStart(" ")
        $TempCap
        DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:$TempCap
    }

• Proposed as answer by Sec360Guy2 Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:33 PM
  • I wonder if this is a side effect of upgrading rather than building a new image.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Thanks but this alone didn't work for me, I still got the same error. 

If you have WSUS and WU settings configured to block it from going out to Windows Update, you may want to look into "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" and disable or un-configure it until you install it and re-enable it.  

Friday, December 7, 2018 3:36 PM
  • Apologize if I'm wrong, but the cause would be this? : Most machines are having updates managed by WSUS/SCCM, which set by the registry key, hence the Install fail due to inability of that machine reaching out to Microsoft to get the RSAT updates/optional features
    Friday, December 14, 2018 7:25 AM