Can't federate with 1 company RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we use on premise Skype for Business Server 2015 and I have already successfully federated with other companies so we can IM them etc.  However I am trying to federate with another company and I've added their domain and they have done the same their end but we can't federate and get no presence in IM etc.

They can also federate with other companies.

Where do should we start to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Saturday, November 10, 2018 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hey Hi !

Few things to start troubleshooting on this issue,

1. Have you added only Domain or Domain with Access edge FQDN in you Federated allowed list?
    2. Is your Edge server is able to do the DNS query to you Partner company domain ex : _Sipfederationtls._tcp.domain.com ; try this in your Edge server and it should give the output as other company's Access Edge FQDN
    3. Check the network connectivity between your Edge servers and their Edge servers ; do the telnet "Telnet <Access Edge FQDN / IP> 5061"
    4. Ask your federated company to perform the above steps [Step 2-3]
    5. Is you federated company have On-Prem SFB or Online SFB (Office 365) ?
    6. If you federated company is on Online (Office 365), then Access Edge FQDN will be "SIPFED.ONLINE.LYNC.COM" and the port will be 5061 TCP ; do the telnet..

Revert back if any queries...

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Hello,

1. Yes we have.

2.  I tried ping "_sipfederationtls._tcp.THEIRDOMAIN.com" and it failed, but it also failed when I tried ping "_sipfederationtls._tcp.OURDOMAIN.com" from just an external PC.

6. When I tried "THEIRDOMAIN.ONLINE.LYNC.COM" it resolved an IP.

I will know more Monday, but wondered what your thoughts were?

Saturday, November 10, 2018 3:12 PM
  • You do not need to ping.. You need to do the DNS query for _sipfederationtls._tcp.TheirDomain.com ; like below

DNS Query for SRV record :

1. Open CMD > type "NSLOOKUP" > hit Enter
    2. Type "set q=srv"  > Hit Enter
    3. Type "_sipfederationtls._tcp.TheirDomain.com" and hit enter

Once you do the query, you will receive the Access Edge FQDN of TheirDOmain's Edge, then you need to do the telnet in to check if 5061 port is open between your Edge and their edge

Note : In case the output of the above DNS query is equal to = SIPFED.ONLINE.LYNC.COM then they are in Skype for Business Online (Office365). If not, then it's On-Premise environment.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Saturday, November 10, 2018 3:23 PM
  • They must be using Skype Online

Telnet to "_sipfederationtls._tcp.TheirDomain.com" on 5061 worked too.  I've added sipfed.online.lync.com to our allowed federation list too, but still no luck.  They have added ours (on prem)

Saturday, November 10, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Well, i assume you run the DNS query and Telnet on your Edge server, if yes well and good.

Is your On-Prem is Hybrid configured ? if yes do not add "sipfed.online.lync.com" under access Edge FQDN .. just add only Domain under allowed domain list..

If you have pure On-Prem, cross check with them if they have added your domain and Access Edge FQDN properly.. 

If everything is fine, take a Edge server logs (SIPstack) and Netmon/WIreshark logs and see what is happening when your Edge server initiate the connection with SIPFED.ONLINE.LYNC.COM's IP...

Saturday, November 10, 2018 3:50 PM
  • Yes I ran this on our edge servers.

In the allowed list I added sipfed.online.lync.com and theirdomain.com, but still not luck. 

We are pure SfB2015 on premise.

They have added our domain correctly.

Saturday, November 10, 2018 4:00 PM
  • well, take a client traces (UCCAPI logs) and servers traces (CLS Logger - IM&Presence Scenario and Netmon/Wireshark logs) parallelly..

And check in the network (Netmon/Wireshark) logs, what is happening with 5061 port with destination as SIPFED.ONLINE.LYNC.COM traffic.

Saturday, November 10, 2018 4:06 PM
  • Hi TB303,

Agree with Neeranjan Shettar, you could try to check the logs about this issue.

In addition, as you try to federate with SFB online, I suggest you could try to check the settings of SIP Federated Providers in the SFB control panel in your environment, you could refer to the following screenshot:

You could also try to delete it if you have one in your environment, and then create a new one.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.
    • Edited by woshixiaobai Monday, November 12, 2018 3:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:52 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2018 3:14 AM
  • Hi TB303,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:22 AM
  • Do you have enhanced presence enabled in your organization ?

Both users have added each other sip address to their contact list and still the presence doesn't work

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:45 PM
  • Sorry for the delay, I had to take leave.

This is what I see here:

I will gather logs now.

For the logs is this on the Edge servers?

• Edited by TB303 Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Hi TB303,

Yes, you could collect the logs in the FE Servers and Edge Server with ClsLogger when try to reproduce the issue. 

In addition, you could also try to all the SFB client caches in the PC, and then try to communicate with the users in company which you can’t federate, then check the logs of the SFB client.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Friday, November 23, 2018 7:45 AM
  • Hi TB303,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

I understand you're an on-premise user but have you assigned yourself a Skype for Business online license through Office 365?

I only ask because the company you're trying to federate with is based Office 365. If they search for you, it first checks your domain in Office 365. If it sees you have a licence and are setup in Skype for Business Online, it will try and get you that way. It won't work of course because you're an on-premise user.

Just check to see if you have a SfB Online license, if so, remove it if you're a full on-premise user.

What is also the results of running the test-csfederatedpartner command from your Front End?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/test-csfederatedpartner?view=skype-ps

Regards

Monday, November 26, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Hi, I will check but can contact other companies using Skype Online.
    Monday, November 26, 2018 10:37 AM
  • Won't be that then if other SfB Online companies can federate with you.

What was the result of the Test-CsFederatedPartner?

Monday, November 26, 2018 12:04 PM