Vista returns E_DRM_PLATFORM_POLICY_VIOLATION on XPS files, Windows 7 is ok RRS feed

• Question

• UPDATE ----

With any RMS protected file, the XPS Viewer EP for Vista returns:

"The rights management processor has failed. XPS Viewer EP cannot open this document because this version of Microsoft Windows cannot be validated."

"Detailed error information: Could not create Drm environment. | HRESULT(-2147168391, 0x8004cf79, E_DRM_PLATFORM_POLICY_VIOLATION)"

Where do I find details logged, so I can find the exact cause? This happens on all Vista machines in our domain, but not on Windows 7 machines.

ORGINAL MESSAGE ----

In a newly installed AD RMS setup the following happens:

Vista SP2 clients opening RMS protected XPS files returns E_DRM_PLATFORM_POLICY_VIOLATION when using the XPS Viewer from the XPS Essentials Pack 1.2.

Windows 7 SP1 clients opening the same files, works fine. This is tested with the same users logged on to the two different OS'es.

The XPS files are made with Office 2007 or 2010, protecting inherited from Word.

If, at the Vista OS, I open the RMS protected files with the standard XPS viewer (opens in IE8), most return "System.IO.FileFormatException: One of the document's use licenses is corrupted".

When I say "most", it is because RMS protected XPS files made today, opens fine in IE8, but those made yesterday or before returns the error! But all of them return E_DRM_PLATFORM_POLICY_VIOLATION when using the XPS Viewer from the XPS Essentials Pack 1.2.

If opening a RMS-protected Word file which is the source of a XPS file, everything seems to work fine on both Vista and Windows 7.

Any clue where to start searching? - I have not been able to find anything logged about these errors. As a test, on a Vista client, I logged on as administrator and deleted the user profile through control panel. After logging on as that user again, the errors are the same. Several Vista users, if not all, have the same problem. No Windows 7 users have the problem.

AD and the RMS server is 2008 R2 SP1.
    All clients and servers are up-to-date form Windows Update through WSUS.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:37 PM

Answers