Dashboard fails to load on most machines RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting this error but it is erratic in the sense that my Vista Machine can connect to it (I know shocking!) but my XP machines fail with a 401 error.  Any thoughts?  After clicking dashboard studio, we get this error in window:

Cannot Start Application: Cannot retrive application.  Authentication error.

The options on this window are OK and Details...

The Details text provided are as follows:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows                                  : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime     : 2.0.50727.1433

System.Deployment.dll             : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

mscorwks.dll                            : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

dfdll.dll                         : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

dfshim.dll                                  : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

SOURCES

Deployment url                         : http://bi.somedomain.com/dashboard/BuilderApplication/ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.application

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of http://bi.somedomain.com/dashboard/BuilderApplication/ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ Downloading http://bi.somedomain.com/dashboard/BuilderApplication/ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.application did not succeed.

+ The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [10/22/2008 12:58:30 PM] : Activation of http://bi.somedomain.com/dashboard/BuilderApplication/ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [10/22/2008 12:58:31 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)

- Downloading http://bi.somedomain.com/dashboard/BuilderApplication/ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.application did not succeed.

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()

at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

--- Inner Exception ---

System.Net.WebException

- The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

- Source: System

- Stack trace:

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS

No transaction information is available.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

To clarify, you receive the same message while logged into an XP workstation with your AD account, but you don't receive it when logged into a Vista machine?  Are the XP machines able to successfully log in to the Dashboard, but not use the Dashboard Studio?  Do the XP machines have IE 6 or 7 installed?  Which authentication method (are multiple options selected?) is configured on the Dashboard virtual directory and in the Dashboard web.config?  This shouldn't be too difficult to figure out with some additional information.

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Bob,

Sorry for the delayed response here.  I thought I had set the Alert Me feature, but apparently not.  To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, XP workstations receive the same security message, Vista does not.

2.  Yes, the XP machines can browse teh Dashboards, but not get into the Dashboard Studio

3.  I have only seen this on IE 7.  I don't think I have an IE 6 machine handy.

4.  Both integrated and basic for the Dashboard virtual directory are selected -- I've tried various combinations here for troubleshooting purposes, but have not been very successful.  The truth is I'm not 100% clear on how this security works.

5.  The file security for web.config (I also have listed web.config.2, .3, .defatult, .formauth, .winauth so not sure if that matters at this point).

Thanks for your assistance.

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

It sounds as if the best place for you to begin with troubleshooting this issue will be to familiarize yourself with the options and security features of the Dashboard, which can be found in the Dashboard setup guide, included with the installation materials.  Once the Dashboard has been configured using one of the supported methods, retest to see if the issue still occurs and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Bob

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:33 PM