Boundaries will overlap because clients are the same for both environments RRS feed

• Question

• I have SCCM 2007 (one primary site) with DEFAULT-FIRTS-SITE-NAME and I want to migrate some of my stuff to SCCM2012.

What will be boundary for SCCM2012? If I set default-first... to SCCM2012 will clients be confused or SCCM2007 clients work as usual and I could migrate them by small portions to SCCM2012?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Kaspars_ Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:31 AM grammar
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:30 AM

Answers

• Auto assignment will only work fine if there are no overlappings. It does work in CM12 - if the boundary groups are configured for auto site assignment.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by Kaspars_ Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:20 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi,

Ip address ranges would also overlap, but it makes it much easier to switch an Ip Address range the a whole AD site at the same time.,.,..

So I would create Ip address raanges, move clients per IP address range, remove the boundary from SCCM 2007 add it to SCCM 2012 and then take the next boundary... Of course this depends on the number of networks e.t.c but as Torsten wrote, you must avoid overlapping boundaries...

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:09 PM

All replies

• Just avoid overlapping boundaries (groups) for site assignment. Both CM07 and CM12 will work without boundaries at all (with limitations), so you could remove all boundaries from CM07 and move them to CM12 (auto assignment will not work and all DPs are treated slow/remote then).

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Hi,

I would start by reconfigure the boundary for the SCCM 2007 site to use IP address range or create a new AD site with the "stuff" you want to migrate to SCCM 2012. I always try to use IP address range as I want to be in control.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Jorgen you mention to create IP ranges but these IP ranges also will be equal for both sites.

Torsten - Will auto assignment not work for CM12?

Mine goal is to migrate without impact on working clients.

I also have one IP range defined as protected and assigned to brach distribution point.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Auto assignment will only work fine if there are no overlappings. It does work in CM12 - if the boundary groups are configured for auto site assignment.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi,

Ip address ranges would also overlap, but it makes it much easier to switch an Ip Address range the a whole AD site at the same time.,.,..

So I would create Ip address raanges, move clients per IP address range, remove the boundary from SCCM 2007 add it to SCCM 2012 and then take the next boundary... Of course this depends on the number of networks e.t.c but as Torsten wrote, you must avoid overlapping boundaries...

Regards,
    Jörgen

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Thanks for quick response.

Case closed.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:22 PM