none
Windows 10 1709 image BuiltIn Apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

I just built my Win10 Pro 1709 image from scratch using VMWare, ran in Audit Mode etc.

I uninstalled most of the Windows Store built in applications that we don't need for Administrator and for any new user who logs on.

When I deployed the image to a test machine, all the built in apps came back! How the heck is this possible?

Had no issues on 1511, 1607, and 1703

Did something change on v1709?

Windows Store AutoUpdate is disabled.

Thanks!

Steve

• Edited by stevefrat20 Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 7:47 PM

All replies

• Are you uninstalling apps for Administrator or are you removing provisioned apps? There is a huge difference, since uninstalling apps for admin does not remove them from the image. Windows Store Auto Update is a different beast as it simply prevents the Store component from auto updating apps in the background (which may lead to issues with Sysprep). As a side note, I am seeing reports that Windows Store is not honoring auto update setting on 1709. There is also the Consumer Experience bit, which again downloads extra apps, but that can‘t be disabled on Windows 10 Pro.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Hi Anton, thanks for the reply. 

I am uninstalling the built-in apps for Administrator as well as the provisioned apps (for any new user that logs on to the machine) via PowerShell. 

I do have an answer file with CopyProfile set to to true.

Also note that the Connected User Experience and Telemetry service is disabled in the reference image...is that what you are referring to when you say "Consumer Experience bit, " ?

Just tested another deployment and this time after auto logon as Administrator I replaced the Default profile NTUSER.dat file with a working one (from an old 1703 image) and when I logged in as another user the builtin apps disappeared and the start menu went back to normal.

It seems as if the NTUSER.dat file is becoming corrupted post OS deployment.

Thanks for all the feedback regarding this issue.  I will continue to test different scenarios and will update accordingly.

Steve

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:58 PM