none
System Volume Information RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm not sure if this topic has been covered or is it a new topic!

My Windows 8  HDD was badly corrupted and damaged.  Recovered  "System Volume Information" onto a new formatted HDD connected (temporarily) via USB to my Windows 10 computer into a file called "Sys Vol Inf" placed in the main partition

As a result the new HDD main partition has a file called "System Volume information" (which contains no data because the disk was formatted on my Windows 10 machine), and a file called "Sys Vol Inf " with all the data in it.

What I need to do is either delete "System Volume Information" and rename "Sys Vol Inf"  as "System Volume Information"

Or... Copy/move the recovered data from "Sys Vol Inf"  into  "System Volume Information"

Could you please tell me how to do this

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Also I will need to move recovered "Windows 8"  onto the new HDD.  How will do that?  The same problem (protected files) will presumably apply to both file systems.

Kind regards. Paul.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in  Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally speaking, you shouldn’t delete the System Volume Information folder. Windows stores System Restore points in the System Volume Information folder. However, I found a post which may help, you can refer to it:

https://superuser.com/questions/1070798/remove-system-volume-information-folder-from-external-drive

You can use the 3rd tool-AOMEI Partition Assistant to migrate OS to SSD/HDD, and clone recovery partition to SSD/HDD in Windows 10/8/7 easily. Please refer to the following link:

https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/clone-recovery-partition-to-ssd-in-windows-10-4125.html

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 13, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hello Hurry, thank you for taking the time to reply.

As mentioned in my question I cloned my corrupted/damaged HDD onto a new temporary HDD.  I also have a new internal HDD to use in my Windows 8 machine.  This drive is temorarily connected to my Windows 10 computer via USB.

My question boils down to:-

How do I transfer recovered  "System Volume Information" and recovered Windows 8 onto the new internal HDD??

Incidentally the new internal drive has larger sectors (4k) than the original HDD (512 Bytes) so most software seems unable to carry out successful cloning in this case (Spoke to Easus and several other software people).  I am talking about cloning here, NOT imaging or any other similar technique.

Kind regards Paul

Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

The System Volume Information file contains System Restore and is a critical operating system file which should be left in its default location. So I would not recommend you move it to an internal HDD.

If you want to do, please refer to the following link which may help:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/accidentally-moved-folders-inside-system-volume/74421e05-8dd2-40ea-8691-7e2b75b43658

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 14, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:49 PM