reader authorization strange behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In 2013, I would like to give the "reader authorization" on a list or a library for one user (granted directly)

On the list, I add the user but when I try to login with him, there's no sharing !

I don't want to give him some rights on other elements of the site. How can I do ? 

Where am I wrong ?

Regards,

EM.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:12 AM

Answers

• Try this: go to the library settings, then "permissions for this document library." Click "Stop inheriting permissions," then "grant permissions." Add the user.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by Elmata Monday, March 20, 2017 3:01 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi EM- how are you setting up the user permissions? Did you break inheritance?

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:51 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the inheritance is broken on this library and some folders in this library have unique autorisations.

What should I do ? 

I can not ?

Regards,

EM.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:33 PM
  • Look at the site level. Does the user show up there with limited access? Did you have the user close their browser, re-open it and log in again?

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Hi & thx !

I would like but in 2013 I don't see the "limited access" level. I have reader, contributor, owner, total control...no limited access :(

I tried it : add the user as reader then modify it.

I can see the wanted level but it's checked and grayed.

If I uncheck the checkbox "reader" (the checkbox limited access is always checked/grayed)

If I verifiy my user, it displays : any authorization.

Any idea ?

Regards,

EM.

• Edited by Elmata Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:44 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:36 AM
  • You can't change or select limited access. SharePoint automatically gives it to a user when inheritance is broken and it can't modified. Here's more information on it:

http://en.share-gate.com/blog/what-is-sharepoint-limited-access

So, if you see it then it's good. I'm guessing that you didn't set up the permissions properly on the library.

cameron rautmann

Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Hi cameron,

I don't understand what you mean.

When I check the authorizations of the user on the library it displays : reader > "granted directly"

How can I properly add just a user on a list or library when the inheritance is broken without giving access to anything else ?

Best regards,

EM.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:00 PM
  • OK, let's start over. So, you broke inheritance on the library, then added the user to the library. How are they accessing the library, directly? Are you trying to go to the site/page first, then the library?

cameron rautmann

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Yes the inheritance of the library is broken.

If I want to add a reader user called "cameron" :) on a library called "technet" of my site "elmata", how should I do it ?

Actually as admin, I click on library in the ribbon > share with and add "cameron" (granted directly)

When I try to log you in the library, it displays : no rights, no share with you.

If I grant your rights on the site, your access on "technet" works fine but you see a lot of lists and libraries you should don't have access (if I retrieve your rights on the site, the checkbox "restricted reader" is well checked and grayed out but it doesn't work :(

WTF ?§!!

Some features to activate ?

• Edited by Elmata Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:48 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:44 PM
  • Try this: go to the library settings, then "permissions for this document library." Click "Stop inheriting permissions," then "grant permissions." Add the user.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by Elmata Monday, March 20, 2017 3:01 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Hi & thanks for your perseverence, I could see the behavior.

When I try to login me (on the library), I am redirected on the url of the site (no share with you of course)

If I reach the url I can see the library. What strange behavior, any idea ?

Why after I logged in I was redirected to the parent element instead to stay in the library ?

Regards,

EM.

Friday, October 14, 2016 10:06 AM
  • Could you provide the link you first go to and the link you end up on? What happens if you log on first somewhere else and then click the link?

cameron rautmann

Friday, October 14, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi & thx !

try it from : 
    https://sharepointdomain/directions/trades/agencies/reports/Forms/AllItems.aspx

NO ACCES 

For this result :
    https://sharepointdomain/directions/trades/agencies/_layouts/15/AccessDenied.aspx?Source=https%3A%2F%2Fsharepointdomain%2Fdirections%2Ftrades%2Fagencies%2Freports

Re route to the homepage of the site.

If I reach a second time on this url it doesn't work (except when I break the unique autho, It fails on the first access but the second time it works)

https://sharepointdomain/directions/trades/agencies/reports/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Any idea ? Some features to activate ?

Regards,

EM.

Monday, October 17, 2016 12:34 PM