Fall Update has broken RDP connection to our Remote Resktop Server RRS feed

• Question

• After the update we get the dreaded" Remote Desktop has Stopped Working" Turn of Printers in Local resources and it works.

WE NEED Printers to work. NOT Bad memory...Not bad Hard Drive..Updated all printer drivers..All the usual crap MS will dish out.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I met some people have the RDP crash issue after upgrade to Windows 10 1709 version.

Based on my check, after installed the Fall Creators Update on Windows 10, and now Remote Desktop Connection crashes every time try to connect to another PC running Windows 10.

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Always you could try the workaround below.

Disable Printer redirect on RDP settings.

Or

Using gpedit.msc, expand to Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Remote Desktop Services - Remote Desktop Session Host - Printer Redirection, then set the policy for "Use remote desktop easy print printer driver first" to DISABLE

Or you can directly create a value in the registry,

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services

"UseUniversalPrinterDriverFirst" with a reg_dword value 4

OR

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

DisablePrinterRedirection = 1

Microsoft has become aware of the problem. Also I have feedback this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration feedback for next fix.

Best regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Eric0502 Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:15 PM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:08 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Monday, November 13, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Disabling printer redirection is not an option for those who use RDS remotely to print locally. Same with Drive redirection. I'm glad we tested this update as build 1709 is completely useless for us. 
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

It's OK. This is the workaround I found. I forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases. Microsoft is aware of the problem.

We could wait for the next fix.

Best regards,

Carl

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:37 AM
  • It's been months and seems like the issue still persists. I've tried everything listed above but the rdassistant.application keeps crashing whenever it's launched.

I wonder if there are any other solutions?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:55 PM