Lync 2013 to Skype for Business Migration + Cloud PBX & PSTN Calling plans RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have a Lync 2013 on-premise setup with on-premise sip.  With our recent EA renewal we added the Office 365 E3, E5, addons which include all the Skype online licensing components.  We in the initial stages of planning a migration project for Exchange and Skype and for the most part we have Exchange properly setup in hybrid and can move inboxes back and forth and all is working as expected.  The plan will be to migrate all of the inboxes to Exchange Online.  Also, we have implemented AD connect to sync the same password which seems to work fine.  We have not decided yet if if we will use ADFS.

With Skype, it's a bit more confusing as the documentation as least what I have found is not as clear and or as much exists.  We are seriously considering a complete migration to Lync online with no reliance on on-premise Lync servers or on-prem SIP.  That said, most the documentation seems to focus on running in a hybrid environment where you use your on-prem sip after migrating Skype users to the cloud.  I am looking for some documentation or direction on migrating from on-prem to 100% cloud for Skype.  

From my research it seems like something like this,

Setup on-prem in hybrid.  Prepare your Identity Management, Ensure you have proper licensing in O365 including Cloud PBX & PSTN Calling plan, If your using existing numbers you will need to port these into O365, 

Once this is all setup is it going to come down to moving user accounts as seen in much of the documentation?  Any guidance is appreciated.

Monday, August 15, 2016 1:32 PM

Answers

• That's pretty much it.  I would suggest moving them to the cloud first with on-premises SIP to get them used to the features they'll lose (they will regain them later as they hit the cloud).  Take a few users, schedule the number port and enable the for PSTN Calling plans.  Use that to get your timing and process down so you can repeat for the rest.

The feature loss is one to be careful of, if you were to move today, please understand that there's no pin authentication, custom dial plans (ie no extension dialing), no automated attendants or response groups, reporting is minimal, no voicemail transcription or rules, no calling in to change voicemail through a desk phone (soft client only), etc. etc.  

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, August 15, 2016 2:54 PM