none
"Save Picture" type of file option only "png" & "bmp" How do I restore JPEG option? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Previously the  "Save Picture"  box would put a web generated title in the box and automatically selected JPEG.  Now the title box reads "untitled" and the only file options offered are "png" & "bmp" 

Please note that a similar post has appeared, but the solution did not match the fault.  I'm seeking to restore the automatic response to save picture, that might have been upset by antivirus clean-up programme.

Thank youin advance for considering my problem

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Clarinet Roger,

Is it available to save picture as .JPEG format with other Browser?

I think the issue should be more related to the picture format on the web page.
    Please try to save the head sculpture on this thread. I have tried to save it on my side and it would be saved as .JPEG format by default.

If the issue only occurred with Internet Explorer 11, try to reset Internet Explorer and check the symptom again.

If there is no .jpeg option anywhere and anytime, please make sure . JPEG exists in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\KindMap.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Joy is right, the default file type SAVE AS chooses is the filetype of the actual file you are selecting. The choices in the pulldown are based on what options are available to convert the filetype during download.

Unfortunately, if the file you are trying to download is a PNG file, your only option to convert is BMP.

The reason you are seeing this suddenly and more often is the fact that PNG file format is becoming more popular with the Internet community and more importantly, more popular with the software developers that design picture handling.

A long time ago, when AOL was a dominant force in the Internet, GIF picture format was pervasive. GIF was created by AOL, was proprietary, and the Internet world does not like proprietary. JPG format was created and replaced GIF as the preeminent picture format. For some time, the Internet community's favored filetype was JPG, so the majority of the pictures you come across for the past 10-ish years has been JPGs.

Recently, I have noticed more and more PNG files and Wikipedia claims PNG is the most widely used lossless picture format used on the Internet today.

Friday, August 11, 2017 3:07 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as Clarinet Roger with Microsoft Edge. Before my most recent MS update I could download images as jpeg's. Since the update, the only options read "untitled" and the only file options offered are "png" & "bmp. Yet those same images that are listed as jpeg's show as jpeg's on internet explorer and can be downloaded as jpegs. Is there a way to correct this?
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 9:09 PM
  • I'm having the same problem since I downloaded the latest Windows update.  The pictures are definitely JPEGs and are available as such in Chrome.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:40 PM