Unwanted Skype for Business-Account RRS feed

• Question

• I have a somewhat peculiar problem: I have never installed Skype for Business in my life, and yet when I search my own name on Skype I and other people see that an account is existing for my email address. I have emailed Microsoft Germany repeatedly about this, but they only answer with an auto-responder telling me that they do not offer support themselves and that I should try my luck in the forums. I cannot reset my passwort, even though I of course could receive a new passwort via my email-adress, because Microsoft keeps telling me to contact my "administrator". There is no "administrator", since I am not, and never have been, part of a structure that used my personal (!) email account for Skype for Business.

I am preparing two seperate law suits against Microsoft Germany regarding this issue (interim relief + main proceeding), but if anyone knows any other solution, I would be very interested.

Has this happened to anybody else? Seeing that I am a lawyer, I am quite surprised that Microsoft never answered.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:48 PM

All replies

• I have a somewhat peculiar problem: I have never installed Skype for Business in my life, and yet when I search my own name on Skype I and other people see that an account is existing for my email address. I have emailed Microsoft Germany repeatedly about this, but they only answer with an auto-responder telling me that they do not offer support themselves and that I should try my luck in the forums. I cannot reset my passwort, even though I of course could receive a new passwort via my email-adress, because Microsoft keeps telling me to contact my "administrator". There is no "administrator", since I am not, and never have been, part of a structure that used my personal (!) email account for Skype for Business.

I am preparing two seperate law suits against Microsoft Germany regarding this issue (interim relief + main proceeding), but if anyone knows any other solution, I would be very interested.

Has this happened to anybody else? Seeing that I am a lawyer, I am quite surprised that Microsoft never answered.

Your personal email address is a custom domain?   Can you share the domain name?  How long have you owned it?  Is it enabled for Office 365?

Domain names are registered by an IT Administrator for use with Skype for Business.  Just because your email address appears for a certain domain does not mean that you actually have an account on Microsoft's servers, which might be a problem for your lawsuit.  As an example, you can search for BergT@rsccd.edu and you'll see Skype prompting you to add the account.  But I'm guessing you've never worked there before.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:13 PM
  • Thank you for your answer and help.

To circumvent the problem and to avoid further work re this issue, I have decided to sever all ties to this email address and use a different one for my Skype account (not the Skype for business-account that is unwanted, as I cannot log into the skype for business-account). Its not an optimal solution, but as said Microsoft does not offer any support for Skype for Business, and I think this will not be worth the trouble to fight it out. I can simply move my Skype-account to a different address, and then this strange unwanted account will always be there but for an email-adress that I will not give anybody.

So problem solved, and thread could be closed.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:13 PM