Question about a specific gpedit setting to configure the maximum wait time for logging on to Windows 7 to look for a roaming profile. RRS feed

• Question

• Our company have company wide issue where users are reporting that the Welcome screen after logging on takes anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes, which is unusually long. I've come across a "fix" from TechNet from another member that this has happen to them before and the fix was to:

1. gpedit.msc >> Local Computer Policy >> Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> System >> User Profiles

2. Set maximum wait time for the network if a user has a roaming profile >> Change setting from "Not Configured" to "Enabled" and change the "Wait for network for maximum (seconds)" to 0.

By doing this action, will it affect the global group policy set by our Server Admins? As in, when a user logs in, it usually do a gpupdate /force, will changing this setting in gpedit.msc, will it skip the gpupdate /force from happening?

Friday, October 23, 2015 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi zuy817,

As far as I know that group policy will affect the wait time for the network. Enabling this policy allows Windows to wait up to the number of seconds specified in the policy setting for an active network connection. "0" means never wait for the network. "Gpupdate /force" will ignore all processing optimizations and reapply all settings. Of course it will update this specific group policy.

According to your description, it seems that something happened with the network as a result the roaming profile will not work well.

If you are using the wireless network, I would suggest you connect with the wire network to have a check. If the issue only occurred with the wireless network, the wireless network driver could be the culprit.

According to my experience, the logon script could be the culprit, too. We could remove them to have a test if we have configured the logon script.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:10 AM