none
Bitlocker recovery triggered after Hyper-V installation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new laptop, ASUS ROG GL702VM. Running Windows 10 Pro version 1607 build 14393.321. I have bitlocker enabled on both OS and data drives. Everything is fine until I install Hyper-V. After Hyper-V installation, on first boot after clean shutdown, I get bitlocker recovery screen. If I shutdown again I can get into the system w/o bitlocker recovery.

In Event viewer I see these warnings in Bitlocker-API Mgmt>Event 29 and 793

In EV Hyper-V -Hypervisor I see Event 12550 that seems to correlate with the machine startup.

It  happened on my first load, I thought it was a fluke so I did another fresh install but it happened again right after Hyper-V install.

Are the 2 conflicting? Anyone run across this issue?

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 3:12 PM

All replies

• If you use a tpm as protector, hardware changes are watched and can be triggering bitlocker recovery. Virtual devices as Hyper-V network adapters (that get created on Hyper-V installation) might also trigger this.

I use BL, I use Hyper-V on win10, but I can not remember that it did this for me, but hey, it's installed for over a year.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:11 PM
  • There is an official documentation introduces which situation can trigger recovery mode, please refer to it for some information.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn383583%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I suspect that enable Hyper-V would make change on BIOS then trigger BitLocker enter recovery mode when you first load, it should be a normal phenomenon, don’t worry about it.

On my Windows 10 machine I also enable both of Hyper-V and BitLocker, I just need to enter password every time, these two features don't conflict.

Besides, about event 12550 you can get a hint form this article.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd582495%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:33 AM
  • @Teemo Tang: Do you use a TPM chip on your installation? Because you talk of a password, I guess you don't. Without a TPM, recovery mode will never get triggered.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:01 AM