Redirect windows 7 start menu to otehr folder RRS feed

• Question

• I just rebuilt my windows 7 PC, and am trying to redirect the Start mennu folder. I found the registry keys and changed the setting for 'start menu' 'Programs' and 'startup', and then moved all the things I had in the old location into the new folder (and organiuzed them the way I wanted). I then restarted. The weird thing is that the STARTUP things all load, but there's nothing in the start menu. So the registry entry for the startup group: D:\Data Files\OS\Start Menu\Programs\Startup redirected OK, but the entry for programs: D:\Data Files\OS\Start Menu\Programs did not. If I recall , this is exactlyhow I set it on the system previously, but now it's not working.

Does anyone have a suggesiton? I've seen things that say 'use the GPO', but can't find anythign that says where to set the redirect in the local windows 7 GPO, and can't find anything just looking through it.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:13 AM

Answers

• Have you check the Event Viewer? Are there any error information?

If you manually pin an item to the Start Menu, does it work?

Double-check the spelling when you edit the registry. Go to D:\Data Files\Start Menu\Programs, see if the programs are listed there. 

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Sorry, I should have returned and posted... The problem was that i was in the wrong key I needed to be in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and I was previously working in 'shell folders', ratehr than 'user shell folders'.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by MickBurke Friday, April 27, 2012 3:09 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 3:09 AM

All replies

• Have you check the Event Viewer? Are there any error information?

If you manually pin an item to the Start Menu, does it work?

Double-check the spelling when you edit the registry. Go to D:\Data Files\Start Menu\Programs, see if the programs are listed there. 

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Did you ever get an answer to this one...?

I'm trying to do the same thing and setup the Start menu with a redirection and I do not have a Windows server, so cannot use GPO, I can only use the local gpedit.msc console and registry hacks.

Any help or info. would be much appreciated

Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Sorry, I should have returned and posted... The problem was that i was in the wrong key I needed to be in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and I was previously working in 'shell folders', ratehr than 'user shell folders'.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by MickBurke Friday, April 27, 2012 3:09 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 3:09 AM