Table of contents - automatic numbering setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I've been given some advice on what might have gone wrong with an error I received on a document that had this set up I was editing.  What I'd like to know is how can I set this up myself for a document.  I've got a document of my own that would benefit from having the page numbers be automatically updated on the contents page.  Can anyone help? 
    Monday, April 6, 2020 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul, it's not really to do with the error (sorted out).  More how I can set this type of thing up myself, i.e. the table of contents page that automatically displays the page numbers based on the headers on each page.  I have instructions from someone else to follow an article - I'll include it in a separate comment below.  It only mentions how the bookmarking is set up though not how to get the page numbers to appear.  Can anyone help? 

Monday, April 6, 2020 12:35 PM
  • Here is the link, which shows you how to hyperlink but not how to add the page numbers.  Which is still a mystery but I don't know how to find out the information as I don't really know what I'm looking for! Help! 

TIA 

https://dissertationwriting.com/hyperlink-table-contents-microsoft-word-2/
    • Edited by Frecklepaw Monday, April 6, 2020 12:37 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2020 12:37 PM
  • I didn't see your links above before - I've read them but they may as well be written in another language - it looks very advanced, therefore I have no idea where to start. 

I'll explain what I want to do: 

I have a report template I use which will vary in length.  It has an existing contents page, not currently formatted except for you will note 'Introduction', which I bookmarked following advice I was previously given in the link to bookmark the headings (https://dissertationwriting.com/hyperlink-table-contents-microsoft-word-2/) 

But this didn't make the page numbers appear, and so I assume I need to do something else to make this happen - not sure what though. 

The contents page at the moment looks like this: 

The headings have been removed for confidentiality and replaced simply with the word 'heading' but they will be for varying headers and on varying pages each time. 

I want to automate this process as some of the reports can be lengthy and the profiling work adding the page numbers in at the end can be time-consuming.  

An idiot's step-by-step guide to this would be ideal for me! 

Also, when I use the method described in the link here: https://dissertationwriting.com/hyperlink-table-contents-microsoft-word-2/ it puts square brackets around the [Table of Contents' and all of the headings within the document, which I don't want.  How do I get rid of this?  (Unless there is another method, which I suspect there may well be.)

• Edited by Frecklepaw Monday, April 6, 2020 12:56 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2020 12:55 PM
  • It appears you're trying to create a table of contents from scratch. Instead, use References>Table of Contents and choose one of the automatic table of contents styles. They display page numbers. I'm not clear what the purpose of your linked article is: Word tables of contents are already hyperlinked, just hold down the Ctrl key when clicking on a TOC entry.
    Monday, April 6, 2020 3:29 PM
  • At the most basic level, select wherever you want the Table of Contents to appear, press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (i.e. { }), type 'TOC' between them, so you get {TOC}, then press F9 to update. You now have a simple Table of Contents, complete with page #s, linked to headings using Heading Styles in your document.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 6, 2020 9:40 PM
  • Hi Frecklepaw,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:39 AM
  • I still have no idea what I'm doing.  If I follow the advice above to use: 

press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (i.e. { }), type 'TOC' between them, so you get {TOC}, then press F9 to update. You now have a simple Table of Contents, complete with page #s, linked to headings using Heading Styles in your document.

I get this: 

When I try to create a table of contents: References>Table of Contents, but then how do I link the page numbers to my headings.  Because the method I have tried already in the article here doesn't seem to work for this method, i.e. bookmarking and hyperlinking.  (https://dissertationwriting.com/hyperlink-table-contents-microsoft-word-2/) 

I am now totally lost.  Can someone explain it in a really basic step-by-step for me?  I have no idea what I'm doing and this would be much appreciated.  Bout ready to cry lol! 

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 9:31 AM
  • What that tells me is that your document isn't using Heading Styles - which is what the TOC field works with by default. You can use other Styles, but that's a lot more work. You really should read the content in the links I posted - especially the second one.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 11:35 AM
  • Something to take into account is that that particular dissertation writing article is really talking about generating a table of contents *for an e-book*, which would benefit from hyperlinks but usually not from page numbers in the ToC (because, with an e-book reader, pagination varies depending on display size, display font size etc.)

The question is whether you still need to be able to create output that can be converted into an e-book, or whether you just need a ToC that works in Word.

If you just need a ToC that works in Word, I suggest that you forget about what the article author has said and familiarise yourself with what Word's own { TOC } feature can do, as other here have been suggesting, and ignore the rest of this post, except that
     - you will currently have a ToC that has *not* been generated from a Word { TOC } field and you'll eventually need to delete that.

- if you still want "reverse" hyperlinks that let the user click in the headings in the body of the text to take them back to the ToC, you'll still need create those manually

If you still need a ToC that works when generating e-books, you can

- either carry on trying to use the technique suggested in the article, but you will need to do a little extra to insert and maintain the page numbers. (No point in describing that unless you need to go down that route)

- or see if the e-book generator program you are using can work with a normal Word { ToC } field. (Perhaps you are using a different one from the article author, or an updated version). If it can, IMO it would be much better to switch to using a proper Word ToC and follow the articles the others have suggested. You'd still need to do those "reverse links" as well, though.

Just as background info...

Typically when you create an e-book, you start with a recognised format (such as .doc) and a set of rules. Then you use a converter program to convert the .doc into the e-book format. You need the rules because the converter only recognises *some* of the things that you can put into a .doc. The article's author seems to have encountered difficulties with using Word's standard ToC, perhaps because the converter did not recognise the hyperlinks that Word generates when inserting a ToC. So 

a. the author doesn't use a Word { TOC } field at all.

b. the author doesn't insert page numbers. I would guess someone else has built on that article to do that.

c. additionally, the author wanted to have links from the headings in the e-book body back to the ToC. Those aren't generated by Word when you insert a { TOC } field.

Peter Jamieson

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thank you for understanding!

If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Monday, April 13, 2020 1:25 AM