none
Offline file sync try to sync other user files and folder and failed with access denied or files already in use RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have few laptops (windows 7 pro) for sales rep and Offline file enable to sync their documents which are on SBS 2011 server.

I don't know why it try to sync some other users (My video , My music , etc ) files and error says "access denied" or
    “The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process”

we have tried many times and confirm there's no one using those files but still same error

I found this article on forumbut not sure how much this valid to SBS 2011, and if it's known issue why not there's fix patch yet from Microsoft

On the 2003 server I had to ADD this reg entry and set it to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\
    OplocksDisabled REG_DWORD 0 or 1
    Default: 0 (not disabled)

And then Changed this entry to 1:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    EnableOplocks REG_DWORD 0 or 1
    Default: 1 (enabled)
    Regards

ayaz
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott

I found the problem and use following method to fix it

1) Check SBS group policy

2) Check permission on CSC folders (I delete all folder under this folder and check permission on this folder)

3) Reinitialize Cache database, there are different method but i use following

http://www.networknet.nl/apps/wp/archives/1093

And finally restart PC

Regards

ayaz
    • Marked as answer by Ayaz_H Friday, December 9, 2011 9:16 AM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here. Yes, if you want to use offline file feature. The SMB Opportunistic Locking (Op Locks) should be enabled on the server. The registry key which controls OPlock on SBS 2011 should be the same with that on windows server 2003. Please try to set the registry key above to enable OPlock on SBS 2011.

Best Regards

Scott Xie

Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Hi Scott

I found the problem and use following method to fix it

1) Check SBS group policy

2) Check permission on CSC folders (I delete all folder under this folder and check permission on this folder)

3) Reinitialize Cache database, there are different method but i use following

http://www.networknet.nl/apps/wp/archives/1093

And finally restart PC

Regards

ayaz
    • Marked as answer by Ayaz_H Friday, December 9, 2011 9:16 AM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 9:16 AM
  • This is a temporary fix only. I have the same issue, and yes this fixes it, for a bit, but here is the cause (sorry still no fix):

I found this happens when you have had more then one user sign into a system, and both have offline files setup to a folder, which each client has exclusive access to, like a redirected My Documents folder, usually by GPO. Then when one or the other person signs in, its at this point it throws an error where client A is getting an access denied on trying to sync client B's offline folder. Which of course they will not ever have permissions to. Client B only has to have signed in and sync once, for this to occur.

We found that one of our admin level accounts had a redirected My Documents, and would sync on peoples laptops when we were doing admin type work. Then after a logging off as admin and getting the client to logon, it would show a sync error for the admin My Doc location trying to sync. We solved it by deleting the admin accounts network My Document location. It didn't need it. No network location, nothing to sync. Makes sense for admins.

The CSC fix above will clear it. A simpler temporary fix is to delete the profile if it is not needed (Computer Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced >(tab) > User Profiles > Settings > Select Profile > Delete ) - WARNING be sure you can live without all those local files saved in the profile you are deleting, as the files will be deleted!. After it won't try to sync all the offline folders for that profile, as it doesn't exist for the computer. (until the next time it signs in!)

Both the CSC mangling and the deleting the secondary user profiles will work until, another user signs in and their offline files syncs. Then the cycle repeats.

SO... the question is, why does, and how can I suppress Windows 7 from syncing offline folders from all other profiles, when a client signs in? Can it be focused on only the folders that particular client has setup as offline. Not every single profile on the computer.

Virtual Samurai - MCP, CCNA

Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Seconded!

After all at least we here did not purchase Enterprise software from Microsoft just in order to subsequently apply manual workarounds, this is totally inacceptable. Can please someone official (or with the required background) present a solution/document/the appropriate mechanisms to have that annoyance gone? We have multiple workstations, and multiple users, and even our CAL model clearly reflects the usecase "users sharing computers".

I want the client to sync exactly the files belonging to the user actually logging on. Either, syncing other users' files on that event WORKS without annonying error indicators, or, I want it not to happen.

Thanks for a clarification on this indeed very nasty and unnecessary bug (and a bug it is!); in this fashion, CSC is completely useless here.

Also thanks to Simon for clarifying that I (or him) is not the only one with this obviously "exotic" setup (oh wow, redirected folders AND multi-user, really something totally weird!1!).

Looking forward to some flesh on this issue. Thanks!

Friday, August 14, 2015 2:12 PM
  • We have exactly the same problem and i can confirm that it only occurs on clients having multiple user profiles.

Clearing the database helps for the moment but doesen't solve the problem, as it can occur again when new user profiles get created.

We have over 15 clients having this problem (just the known ones) und we need a solution.

• Edited by SuHCB Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:52 AM