none
Steady/dynamic relationship between resource- and standard-calendar possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

this is my situation:

- first I created standard calendar with public holiday

- second I created some resource calendars based on this standard calendar and added individual holiday on them

- thirdly I added some additional company-related holidays up to the standard calendar some days later

-> Problem: the resource calendars didn't adopt those holidays to their own calendar-management

Question:

is there a solution or a way to connect the resource calendar permanent/dynamic with the standard calendar in order to update the resource calendar automatically, if there are general changes going on?

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards

Michael

• Edited by Michl_MGT Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

This is the normal behavior and it is working well.

For your third step, when you add a company holiday in the project calendar, since the resource calendar inherit days off from the project calendar, Project will take into account this other day added for all projects with the project calendar and all assignments with the resource calendar.

See the project calendar with the 2 public and company holidays :

And the resource calendar: it has only 1 exception for the resource holiday (24th) but inherits the project exceptions (23rd and 25th), whenever they were added, before or after the resource exception:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:43 PM
  • Oh I see what you are saying. If I look at the task usage, the 25th, added after the task was created, is still worked by the resource, evenif the day off was added to the project calendar.

Interesting, I'll have a look to see if I can find a workaround.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:49 PM
  • A workaround would be to attribute another calendar to the resource and then switch back to the original one, so it can inherit from the project calendar . Not quite satisfying I agree...

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for you quick response! :)

You've catched the problem, that at the 'company holiday' the resource is still working even though the 'company holiday' had been added after the task was created.

The workaround seems to be a possible solution, but it isn't useful, if you got >20 resources and you have to add the personal holidays again for each resource :X

Is this a kind of bug of MS Project?

Best regards

Michael

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I just submitted the case to my fellow MVP colleagues and to Microsoft. Let's see the feedback I'll have.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 3:59 PM
  • When you say you created some Resource calendars, what did you do? When you create a resource by typing a name in the resource sheet, Project automatically creates the resource calendar for you and its linked to the project calendar selected in Project Information window.

This resource calendar will always update with any project calendar updates unless you have forced working days in the Resource calendar.

It reads to me like you created new base calendars for each resource. Is that what you did?

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Hi Rod,

I run a few tests and it seems like a bug.. I sent an email to the MVP DL yesterday, did you see it?

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Hi together,

@Rod:

I created an own calendar for every single resource on base of the standard calendar. I tried to display the action on the screen (URL) below (plz don't hesitate, it's german :D)

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-30129540/20160324_Resource-Mngmnt.mpp.png.html

@Guillaume

how is it possible to see this e-mail/request on MVP DL ?

Best regards

Michael

PS: do you know, how to verify my account in order to post pics?

• Edited by Michl_MGT Thursday, March 24, 2016 12:26 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

Quick follow up. It seems to be a bug related to non US installations. So far no news from MS for a fix date.

Here is another workaround in the meanwhile:

Close Project, change regional setting to English(US), start Project and open your project. All changes of project calendar will be reflected for resource. Save, close and change regional settings back.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:44 AM
  • I think the problem is with any non-English locale. So you could try visiting an interesting country locale like New Zealand instead? ;-)

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, April 1, 2016 10:28 AM