Domain Workstation Frezze for 5 - 30 sec RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

Hope someone can help me with this.

I have a site with 40 users, with 2 phyical server and 2 Virtual servers (on seperate server.).

Phyisical
    SBS2003 32b 4years old HP 310 g3 4GB ram
    FileServer 32b 2.5 years old hp310 g4 4 GB ram

Virtual
    Terminal server 32b 
    New Sharepoint 3.0  32b No operation yet.

The issue I am having is that a few time a day the client computers frezze for 5-30 sec. Then continue to work. Sometimes this crashes outlook and they have to kill the process before restart outlook. (Lifeboat error generated.)

The SBS and Filesever seem to have plenty of resource free. Handles, Threads, ram all look ok. The Page/Sec on the Fileserver is shooting up to 4000 at times but this does not seem to be related to the issue. I have also found I can transfer 80GB of data from the file server to external NAS drive without creating an issue.

So my problem is that I do not know where the issue is and where to look. What would cause the clients to lockup. (WinXP sp3.) Most clients are just running standard program Office 2007 and autocad.

Any idea on how I could further diagnois this problem would be appriciated.

Regards

Craig.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This kind of problem may be caused by software conflicts. I suggest we test in Clean Boot to narrow down the cause first. Click start, type "msconfig", press Enter, switch to Services tab, click Hide all Microsoft services, click Disable all, switch to Startup tab, click Disable all, click OK to restart the system. What’s the result?

If the issue still occur, please help to collect the following information and perform test to narrow down the cause:

1. When did the issue start to occur?
    2. Is there any change made on client or server or in your network? New software or new hardware?
    3. Does this issue occur on all client system?
    4. On problematic client, try to disable all third party software, including anti-virus software and Firewall to test. Is there any progress?

5. Open Event Viewer and check if there is any related errors and let us know the detailed error message.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:58 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This kind of problem may be caused by software conflicts. I suggest we test in Clean Boot to narrow down the cause first. Click start, type "msconfig", press Enter, switch to Services tab, click Hide all Microsoft services, click Disable all, switch to Startup tab, click Disable all, click OK to restart the system. What’s the result?

If the issue still occur, please help to collect the following information and perform test to narrow down the cause:

1. When did the issue start to occur?
    2. Is there any change made on client or server or in your network? New software or new hardware?
    3. Does this issue occur on all client system?
    4. On problematic client, try to disable all third party software, including anti-virus software and Firewall to test. Is there any progress?

5. Open Event Viewer and check if there is any related errors and let us know the detailed error message.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:58 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Hi

Though I had already put a responce to this.

Looks like the problem was with CA Arcserv. Every time I start Arcserv services the network go to Sh**.  Computers on the network freeze for 5 - 30 sec.

I have  a case open with Arcserv to try and resolve this issue.

craig

Friday, August 6, 2010 7:19 AM