none
Document Library Search Mixed results

    Question

  • When searching inside of a document library using the search box at the upper left I will start to type in a word and it will autocomplete search results below which is good.  If I then press ENTER or click the "See More Results" link at the bottom it takes me to the document library view where it shows no results.  I've added screenshots to help.  One more interesting thing is this happens for some users, not all.  And they are part of the same security group.

    Friday, January 6, 2017 3:27 PM

Answers

  • Here's another update: I managed to get this working by granting the users "Read" access to the root of the site collection.  It seems if the users are only specified on the sub-site this search capability breaks in the new UI experience.  They need to be added to the root of the site collection as well.  I have an open case with MS and will claim this is indeed a bug with the new UI.  The search also works fine when switching back to the classic view.
    Monday, January 16, 2017 5:26 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Welcome to the Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus IT Pro General Discussions forum.

    Since this forum is for questions and feedback related to Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus and your question is more related to SharePoint Online, I'll move your question to the forum dedicated for SharePoint Online:

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/home?forum=onlineservicessharepoint

    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

    Regards,

    Steve Fan


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Monday, January 9, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hi GrayreverandSoftwareGuy,

    If we press ‘Enter’ or click on the ‘See more results’, the search system will search items/files based on the text entered in the search box (In your situation, it will show the search results for ‘pub’ ).

    To get the ‘Published Test’ search result, you should type the word or phrase in the search box, such as ‘published’, ‘published test’ or ‘test’.

    Or, you could use the wildcard (*) to find words that begin with a character string. For example, you can search for ‘pub*’ to find all items/files that contain ‘public’ or ‘publish’.


    Best regards,

    Linda Zhang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Hi Linda,

    This is still not always the behavior I'm seeing.  I've attached 2 new screenshots demonstrating the issue.  I run the same exact search for "WMS" and press ENTER.  For one user I get results, for the other I get nothing.  Both users have the same exact permissions to the site.  You can see that the Autocomplete search results in menu below are the exact same for both users.  It's just when I press ENTER only one user sees search results in the library view.  Also, what does that field actually search for?  Is it just the file name?  No other metatdata?  I would not expect the one "Auto ASN" search result to be displayed but it is.    

    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:20 PM
  • Hi GrayreverandSoftwareGuy,

    Are you using different browsers?

    Please check the search operation in the IE.

    In addition, add the site to the trusted zone and enable Compatibility View for the site, check if the issue is fixed.

    Best Regards,

    Linda Zhang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:28 AM
  • Hi Linda,

    I've tried different browsers and have gotten the same results.  The screenshots I provided were both from IE.  Adding the site to the compatibility view list and trusted sites zone didn't help either.  
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Here's another update: I managed to get this working by granting the users "Read" access to the root of the site collection.  It seems if the users are only specified on the sub-site this search capability breaks in the new UI experience.  They need to be added to the root of the site collection as well.  I have an open case with MS and will claim this is indeed a bug with the new UI.  The search also works fine when switching back to the classic view.
    Monday, January 16, 2017 5:26 PM