WSUS synchornizing offline RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I've to setup WSUS 3.0 SP2 x64 for SCCM's software update point. We've been given a sandbox virtual server to install primary site server to have software update point role. I've installed WSUS 3.0 SP2. But now I've to synchronize it with Microsoft Windows Update web site.

Since its lab environment with no internet access, is there any way to go pass the step of WSUS connecting to Windows update site to synchronize itself; and made its basic (not all or necessary contents) contents made available offline; so that I can bring those initial contents to WSUS server running on SCCM server?

Please advise if any other way exists to synchronize WSUS 3.0 SP2 with WIndows update site; if server does not have internet connectivity.

Thanks.
    • Moved by Lawrence Garvin Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:01 PM SCCM/SUP question (From:WSUS)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hello everyone,

I've to setup WSUS 3.0 SP2 x64 for SCCM's software update point. We've been given a sandbox virtual server to install primary site server to have software update point role. I've installed WSUS 3.0 SP2. But now I've to synchronize it with Microsoft Windows Update web site.

Since its lab environment with no internet access, is there any way to go pass the step of WSUS connecting to Windows update site to synchronize itself; and made its basic (not all or necessary contents) contents made available offline; so that I can bring those initial contents to WSUS server running on SCCM server?

Please advise if any other way exists to synchronize WSUS 3.0 SP2 with WIndows update site; if server does not have internet connectivity.

Thanks.

What you can do is export the WSUS content in the production environment and import the content into your LAB environment. This is how it works;

You can use WSUSUTIL.exe to export the content, you will find this executable in %ProgramFiles%\Update Service\Tools

1. Go to the command prompt at your production WSUS server and execute WSUSUTIL.exe export d:\wsusexport.cab d:\logfile.log
    2. Copy the exported CAB file to your LAB environment
    3. Go to the command prompt at your production WSUS server and execute WSUSUTIL.exe import d:\wsusexport.cab d:\logfile.log

Hope this helps!

With kind regards, Peter Daalmans www.systemcenterblog.nl
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hello everyone,

Thanks.

What you can do is export the WSUS content in the production environment and import the content into your LAB environment. This is how it works;

You can use WSUSUTIL.exe to export the content, you will find this executable in %ProgramFiles%\Update Service\Tools

1. Go to the command prompt at your production WSUS server and execute WSUSUTIL.exe export d:\wsusexport.cab d:\logfile.log
    2. Copy the exported CAB file to your LAB environment
    3. Go to the command prompt at your production WSUS server and execute WSUSUTIL.exe import d:\wsusexport.cab d:\logfile.log

Hope this helps!

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Hello Peter,

Thanks for reply. Would this Cab file that I create from production WSUS server be quite large (2GB+) ?
    Also may I ask if you mean; in step 3 "...at your lab WSUS server".

Regards,
    Shahzad.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Hello Peter,

Thanks for reply. Would this Cab file that I create from production WSUS server be quite large (2GB+) ?
    Also may I ask if you mean; in step 3 "...at your lab WSUS server".

Regards,
    Shahzad.

Off course! Sorry for that! Did it work?
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Thanks Peter,

Just one last question before I try that. The version of WSUS i've installed is 3.0 SP2. Would there be problems if the production WSUS server is not at this version?

Please comment. Thanks.

Regards,
    Shahzad.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:25 AM
  • Not sure, don't think so but what is your current version?

Cheers,

Peter

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:26 AM