Intermittent FBA Login Failure "Value cannot be null" RRS feed

• Question

• On occasion, the server stops allowing users to log in. Sharepoint version is 2007.
    Sometimes this happens after a week, sometimes a month. Restarting IIS resolves the issue.
    The issue appears to only occur with IE clients, if you try to login with Firefox, voila...

Upon passing valid credentials to the login form:

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value at System.String.EndsWith(String value, StringComparison comparisonType)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.PostAuthenticateRequestHandler(Object oSender, EventArgs ea)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Some notes about this particular server -- there are 2 sharepoint web applications set up,
    one listening on port 80 and one on port 80 and 443 on the same IP address.
    They are using host headers to differentiate traffic. Each has FBA set up and each hits a different database,
    but their applicationName properties are both set to "/".
    I am not sure if any of the above information is a factor, but I suspect somehow it is.

Please let me know how I can troubleshoot this further.
    The event log and Sharepoint trace logs don't really tell much of a story.
    I took a procmon capture as well when the issue was occurring,
    didn't see anything of interest but there is just so many lines in the procmon capture perhaps I've missed something.

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I have found a link about configuring a Host Header for Web Site (IIS7). For more information, please refer to it:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753195(WS.10).aspx
    I don’t think you can when you using SharePoint 2007. (Haven’t tried other versions). In SharePoint 2007 you setup host headers and other website stuff in the central administration site rather than IIS for some bizzare reason.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:15 AM

All replies

• The following blog post is actually by far the best analysis of the problem that I've seen:

http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com/2010/02/fix-wpsc-is-undefined-javascript-error.html

So assuming that the problem stems from host headers -- I know how to set up host headers in IIS and both my sites have them set correctly.  Is there also a way to set up the host headers in the Central Administration tool?  There is a link to "Create a New Web Application" -- but I've never really found a link for "Editing an existing Web Application". 

Referencing the above blog post, does the SPSite.LookupHostHeaderSite method actually look at IIS or somewhere in the Sharepoint configuration database?  I cannot find details on the LookupHostHeaderSite method anywhere (but lots of references to it in the Google cache with stack traces of sites using SharePoint that puked).  I guess this is a private method?  Please how can I set my host headers straight using Central Administration or hacking the configuration database?

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I have found a link about configuring a Host Header for Web Site (IIS7). For more information, please refer to it:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753195(WS.10).aspx
    I don’t think you can when you using SharePoint 2007. (Haven’t tried other versions). In SharePoint 2007 you setup host headers and other website stuff in the central administration site rather than IIS for some bizzare reason.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:15 AM