none
Project Updates from External Sources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have this situation which comes quite often, but I never bothered to ask until today :) I'm quite sure, this must have been asked before but I wasn't able to find such thread. Anyway, the situation is simple, in my current environment the PMO manages projects which are eventually managed by vendors/other entity. Now, what happens is that PM get the updates through email in MPP files and they just copy past the updates to an existing project in Project Server. This is causing baseline values corrupt.  One thing to note here is that there is no team member who will be updating the project, only PM updates the progress. My question is what is the correct way to handle this situation? 

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Kashif,

Whichever way you do this will require more thought on behalf of the PM.  Your initial issue was corrupt baselines...  Now, if your 3rd party is altering the plan, by removing or adding tasks and there is not change control process between the two parties then it seems to me that chaos will ensue.   The best way to begin to manage this is to implement a change control process.  Using compare projects is a tedious way to do find differences in projects.  Personally, I would have the two parties collaboratively updating a single plan on Project online, or manage two separate plans, with your PM having a high level plan, and the 3rd party managing a detailed plan.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by Kashif Nizam Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:05 PM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Kashif,

The issue here is the copy and paste, it sounds like the PM is pasting in whole rows of tasks, whereas I would only paste in a selection of cells, such as %complete.

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for replying. 

Yes, this is what they are doing, and the reason they are doing this is that they might have more/ fewer tasks than the previous plan. In some cases what you're suggesting is applicable only if they are sure that tasks are same, but what about other cases. 

I was thinking of using compare projects from MS Project, I believe that's my last resort to suggest to all PMs.

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Monday, January 22, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Hi Kashif,

Whichever way you do this will require more thought on behalf of the PM.  Your initial issue was corrupt baselines...  Now, if your 3rd party is altering the plan, by removing or adding tasks and there is not change control process between the two parties then it seems to me that chaos will ensue.   The best way to begin to manage this is to implement a change control process.  Using compare projects is a tedious way to do find differences in projects.  Personally, I would have the two parties collaboratively updating a single plan on Project online, or manage two separate plans, with your PM having a high level plan, and the 3rd party managing a detailed plan.

• Marked as answer by Kashif Nizam Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:05 PM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 10:21 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Your suggestion seems to be viable where PM keeps high-level plan and 3rd party with detailed one. I didn't mention earlier that we have the plan to give access to these 3rd party through Form Based Authentication FBA, but it will take some time.

Thanks for your wonderful answer :)

Cheers!

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:39 PM