App-V 4.6 SQL Server job "Check Usage History" constantly failing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am using App-V 4.6 RTM on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and SQL Server 2008 SP1 x64 with all latest patches.

Default English language everywhere.

Since App-V installation, SQL Server Agent job named "SoftGrid Database (APPVIRT46): Check Usage History" which by default

is running once a month, was never able to run successfully. The error was following:

Executed as user: dbo. The server principal "sa" is not able to access the database "APPVIRT46" under the current security context. [SQLSTATE 08004] (Error 916).  The step failed.

To resolve this error in job step properties I changed default master database to APPVIRT46, and got next error:

Executed as user: dbo. DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 2528)  'TRUNCATE_ONLY' is not a recognized BACKUP option. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 155)  DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 2528).  The step failed.

How to solve this one I dont know, since TRUNCATE_ONLY is not supported in SQL Server 2008.

From App-V product description I understand that SQL Server 2008 is supported by App-V 4.6.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

EK

Monday, July 5, 2010 10:34 AM

Answers

• OK, I commented out following line

EXEC (N'BACKUP LOG [' + @db_name + N'] WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY')

in  procedure sp_SFTcleanupusage and now job runs fine.

Initially I tried to delete only WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY part from the line, and got error:

Executed as user: dbo. DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 2528)  The statement BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the recovery model is SIMPLE. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using ALTER DATABASE. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 4208)  BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013)  DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 2528).  The step failed.

The code even doesnt check for recovery model of the database and by default App-V database is created with Simple recovery model.

EK

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 5, 2010 12:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:02 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 12:01 PM

All replies

• Thanks for answer, Znack.

I saw that thread as I did search before posting my question.

Suggested solution confuses me a little - so everyone who run App-V 4.6 on SQL Server 2008 need to manually edit system procedure sp_SFTcleanupusage for history cleanup to work? I mean isnt that a bug and shouldnt there be an official patch or workaround that solves this?

EK

Monday, July 5, 2010 11:33 AM
  • Hello,

Unless noone reports it as a bug via Microsoft Support (the forums are not an official support channel) I don't think Microsoft will prioritize fixing this - if it truely is a bug...

/Znack
    Monday, July 5, 2010 11:37 AM
  • OK, I commented out following line

EXEC (N'BACKUP LOG [' + @db_name + N'] WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY')

in  procedure sp_SFTcleanupusage and now job runs fine.

Initially I tried to delete only WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY part from the line, and got error:

Executed as user: dbo. DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 2528)  The statement BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the recovery model is SIMPLE. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using ALTER DATABASE. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 4208)  BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013)  DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 2528).  The step failed.

The code even doesnt check for recovery model of the database and by default App-V database is created with Simple recovery model.

EK

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 5, 2010 12:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:02 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 12:01 PM
  • Glad you were able to resolve your issue, of course you could have changed App-V's database recover model to Full in which case removing WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY would've worked.

/Kalle

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:36 PM