None of the backup options work in the Backup & Restore / Action Center RRS feed

• Question

• I have reviewed all the related threads & it appears multiple folks are having the same problem i am having.  The only difference is, I am running the 32 bit version of Windows 7.  I ran an initial backup & after that all the options went dead.  Selecting any of the Backup features options resulted in nothing happening.  Please let me know of any fixes for this as I do not want to re-install the OS.  I have spent hours re-installing SW.  I also have tried all the suggestions in the related threads other then re-installing the upgrade.      
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:13 AM

Answers

• Hello tim2e,
    Regret the inconvenience.

Need few details and some diagnostic information:

1. Does closing and re-opening of the CPL fix the issue?
    2. UAC is turned off or on?
    3. Can you try and confirm which links work and which dont?
    4. I would need a dump of the explorer process from your machine. Please follow the below steps:
        i. Get the machine in the problematic state, ie when the links wont work.
        ii. right click on task bar-> Task manager-> process tab-> Explorer.exe-> right click-> Create dump file.
        iii. save the file on local disk, upload it onto skyDrive space and send the link. You can email the details to lokkum"at"microsoft"dot"com.
    5. Afetr collecting the dump, can you try killing and restarting explorer from task manager.
        Processes-> explorer.exe-> right click 'End process'.
        File -> New Task -> explorer -> OK.
        Note : This will close existing folder/CPL windows.
    And then re-launch the B&R CPL.

A lot of customers are hitting this issue. Need your help in getting to the root cause.  

P.S. You should not have to re-install for this issue.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:37 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Running "sfc /scannow" (system file checker) in administrator level command prompt may restore the backup feature.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hello tim2e,
    Regret the inconvenience.

Need few details and some diagnostic information:

1. Does closing and re-opening of the CPL fix the issue?
    2. UAC is turned off or on?
    3. Can you try and confirm which links work and which dont?
    4. I would need a dump of the explorer process from your machine. Please follow the below steps:
        i. Get the machine in the problematic state, ie when the links wont work.
        ii. right click on task bar-> Task manager-> process tab-> Explorer.exe-> right click-> Create dump file.
        iii. save the file on local disk, upload it onto skyDrive space and send the link. You can email the details to lokkum"at"microsoft"dot"com.
    5. Afetr collecting the dump, can you try killing and restarting explorer from task manager.
        Processes-> explorer.exe-> right click 'End process'.
        File -> New Task -> explorer -> OK.
        Note : This will close existing folder/CPL windows.
    And then re-launch the B&R CPL.

A lot of customers are hitting this issue. Need your help in getting to the root cause.  

P.S. You should not have to re-install for this issue.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Running "sfc /scannow" (system file checker) in administrator level command prompt may restore the backup feature.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Hi Lokesh:

1. Did not fix the problem
    2. what is UAC & where or how do i check the status of off or on?
    3. None of the backup links work Manage Space, Backup Now, Turn on Schedule & Change settings
    4. What/where is the skyDrive space & how do i upload the file?
    5. Did kill & restart explorer, did not fix the problem. 
    I basically ran out of options & patience & did the reinstall of the OS.  To my surprise, it did NOT fix the problem. All links are as dead as ever, even after the re-install. I had one successful backup after the first upgrade & it never worked again after that.  

One interesting thing I discovered. I have the backup associated with an Iomega external hard drive.  While in the backup & restore view, if i unplug the USB cable from the ext hard drive & replug it back in, i get a seperate pop-up window that prompts me for what i want to do with the drive?  One of the options is run a backup, if I select that in the pop up window outside the Backup & restore program, the dump will run to completion successfully on the external hard drive.  Unfortunately none of the links work.  This is the only way I can get the backup to run at this point.  
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Hello:

Tried the sfc scan as well. Did not work.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Do you have any registry tweaks in your system such as the right click takeown trick?

Friday, November 13, 2009 1:24 AM
  • I have reviewed all the related threads & it appears multiple folks are having the same problem i am having.  The only difference is, I am running the 32 bit version of Windows 7.  I ran an initial backup & after that all the options went dead.  Selecting any of the Backup features options resulted in nothing happening.  Please let me know of any fixes for this as I do not want to re-install the OS.  I have spent hours re-installing SW.  I also have tried all the suggestions in the related threads other then re-installing the upgrade.      

I was having the exactly the same issue. I found this reply from another thread and it solved the issue. I added the reg key and it fixed it.

Issue found.

Special thanks to ruinedx for getting those big files through to us for diagnosis.

The issue is with some 3rd party apps not implementing their context menu(right click option) correctly. One such app we have found is an older version of Quicksfv. (They seem to have corrected it now.) 

So if you have quicksfv installed and are facing this issue, you can either un-install and install the latest one or check for the below reg key and add it if not already present.
    1. regedit-> 
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\Objects\{906b0e6e-61ce-11d3-8ee2-0060080a7242}]
    "CTXMENU_NOVERBS"=""
    (right click-> New->'String Value'->CTXMENU_NOVERBS->Enter)

Other apps which we have found causing this issue is
    i. "MoveTo CopyTo Context Menu" - gives a right click Move To option - Guid {C8F9EE0B-60AE-40C6-930D-6395F46358E5}
    ii. "CompareIt!" - (installed with 'Shell extension' option) - Guid {398D6F03-7C65-4462-A173-95247F028785}

If the guids are not present in the 'Objects' reg key, then you need to add the guid and then add the string value.
    1. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\Objects
    2. If the apps guid(mentioned above) is not present, right click on 'Objects'->New->Key-><guid value>
    3. Now click on the <guid> key, on the right side-> new-> 'String Value'-> CTXMENU_NOVERBS

If none of the above apps are installed on your machine, send a mail at lokkum"at"microsoft"dot"com and i can pass you a tool to find the app and make necessary changes to the registry.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by nytek1 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:48 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:55 AM
  • Brand new 64 bit Windows 7 machine and NONE of the Backup and Restore links work.  I have tried turning off UAC with no success.  The backup and restore in SERVICES is started.  Many other are having the same problem.  This makes NO sense that there is not a FIX for this
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:09 PM