Paint shop pro 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Greets!
    When trying to set psp7 as default program for, say, a jpg.... then clicking to open the .jpg, or when right clicking and saying open with, I get

Quote:
    C:\Windows\INSTA:~1\[D6DEO~psp7.exe
    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    CS:0df8 IP:01cb OP:ff ff 00 ff 00 Choose 'Close" to terminate the application
    Any idea how to remedy this? I have tried setting compatibility to xp and running as admin but it does not help.

BTW- i'm using the RC 7100

PSP7 does run ok once open directly but will not open like this as an associated file. I did find a suggestion to set a batch file as associated and set the batch to open psp7. This opens the program but not the .jpg so i'm still stuck manually opening the program and searching for the file.....
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:54 PM

All replies

• Any ideas out there?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Paint shop pro 7 was made a long time before Vista, and is not designed to work with Vista / 7. Have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode?
    • Edited by JoelbX Friday, October 22, 2010 8:21 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:38 AM
  • Did you try reading my post?

True PSP 7 is from around windows 2000 era but it runs fine just the same once its open. Opening as an associated program seems to be the only issue.

My PSP 7 info -

~~~~~~~~~~
    Paint Shop Pro Build Information:
    Build Date Jul 13 2001 @ 16:15:07
    Build Mode Release (7000404)

Hardware Configuration:
    Processors 2
    Processor Type 586
    MMX Support Yes

Memory / Drive Status:
    Memory Load Index 30 pcnt.
    Total Physical Memory 1024MB
    Available Physical Memory 1023MB
    Total Paging Memory 2047MB
    Available Paging Memory 1023MB
    Total Managed Memory 1MB
    Total Handles: 15
    Temp Drive Free Space 3223MB

Video Driver Information:
    Bits Per Pixel 32
    Number of Colors 16777216
    DIB Output 24BPP
    Palette Size Non-Paletted
    Resolution 1680 x 1050

Operating System Information:
    Operating System Windows NT/2000
    Version 5.1
    Additional Info Service Pack 3

Plug-in Information
    Total Plug-ins Scanned: 0
    Memory Used: 0KB
    Filter Plug-ins Loaded: 0
    Import Plug-ins Loaded: 0
    Export Plug-ins Loaded: 0
    Format Plug-ins Loaded: 0

WinTab Tablet Status
    Driver Version: None
    • Edited by jrjr4u Friday, July 17, 2009 9:54 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Did you try reading my post?

Yes I did. However you didn't mention if you had ran the app in compatibility mode. Why do I even bother replying when I ask "did you try compat. mode" and the answer I get is:
    Did you try reading my post?
    Operating System Information:
    Operating System Windows NT/2000
    Version 5.1
    Additional Info Service Pack 3

OK you have ran it in compat. mode.

Reason why I said "Paint shop pro 7 ... is not designed to work with Vista / 7. Have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode?" is because Microsoft changed the way how apps work in Vista / 7, and because of this XP apps are sometimes not compatible (especially with games) or weird bugs show up. You have a weird bug, especially since paint shop pro 7 was made around 2001.

• Edited by JoelbX Friday, October 22, 2010 8:21 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Weird bug? Well maybe. The program runs fine it just does not start as an associated program. Seems to me this should not be that big of a deal. I ran the beta and now the RC. Since this is still not the final release candidate I wanted to report this and see if we couldn't get it rectified. It seems that the OS is seeing this as an 8 or  16 bit program and incorrectly calling it with the 16-bit emulation subsystem when it is an associated program. When running from a direct link it opens and runs fine.

AND I most certainly did say that I ran it in xp compatibility mode AND also said that I ran it as admin. That is why I asked if you read my post because if you had you would not have to ask.
    • Edited by jrjr4u Friday, July 17, 2009 7:12 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Anyone else have input on this? Sure would like to fix it.....
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:46 AM