none
Tasks not linking in timeline RRS feed

• Question

• When I select a task in the timeline, I see the chain link show up, I get the line as I move the mouse, but when I drag the link to another task it does not link. Even if I start a blank project it does not work. I tried re installing. Project is critical to my work.. I upgraded to Project 2016, running on windows 10 in VMware on a MAC. Project 2013 and window 7 worked flawlessly for years..

Friday, May 27, 2016 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, you cannot link tasks directly from the timeline with a drag and drop.

You can do that from the gantt chart. Just tested with Project for O365 and it worked well.

Can you confirm that you are talking about the gantt part and not the timeline?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Friday, May 27, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Sorry, I meant in the gantt chart. When I hover over a task bar, in the gannt chart, the cross comes up, I can drag a line to another task but it does not link?
    Friday, May 27, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Strange it works well for me.

Can you check the predecessor column to see if the link is indeed not created? Try also do right click on the gantt chart and select "layout". See if the right option is checked for the links:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Friday, May 27, 2016 1:51 PM
  • Yes, its checked, I can create links other ways, and see them in the gantt chart. In this image, I am dragging the link, and no information is being populated into the TO start of pointer.. It just does nothing!
    • Edited by mgarrett Friday, May 27, 2016 3:28 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Im on a critical path, Im re installing 2010 (leaving 2016 alone)... Hopefully it will work for today!

Friday, May 27, 2016 3:33 PM
  • I also just figured out that I cannot move tasks, by dragging them in the task window.. I have to cut and paste them.

Friday, May 27, 2016 3:34 PM
  • 2010 everything works.. Phew!! Let me know what you need to help troubleshoot 2016..

msg

Friday, May 27, 2016 3:41 PM