SteadyState in a VM RRS feed

• Question

• I tried installing SteadyState in a Virtual Machine on a Windows XP SP2 host with a Windows XP SP2 guest and have failed to do so. The extracting of the files began, but that was it.

I'd love using the disk protection of SteadyState as a free alternative to VMware's snapshots feature. I'm currently using VMware Player and VMX Builder for the creation of VMs.

Any ideas why it fails to installs (in my case only)?
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hello CypherBit,

Based on your description, I know that you cannot install SteadyState on VMware virtual machine.

As you know, the VMware is a 3rd-party virtualization software, we are not very familiar with it. We have not test the compatibility about SteadyState on VMware. We cannot give you detail steps to troubleshoot the issue. Anyway, you can try to do a clean boot on the guest XP system and then try to install the SteadyState again:

To clean boot the problematic computer, please use the steps below:

a. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotation marks). Click OK.

b. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click to select the Selective Startup button.

c. Click to clear the check mark from the "Load startup items" below Selective Startup.

d. Click the Services tab, click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box, and remove all the check marks from the remained Non-Microsoft Services.

e. Click OK to close the MSConfig window. Click Yes when you are asked to restart your computer in order to enable the changes.

f. After restarting, please check whether this issue will reoccur.

g. If there are no more problems, please use the above steps to enable services and startup items one by one in order to figure out the root cause of this issue.

Of course, our Microsoft have hardware virtualization software (Virtual PC and Virtual Server), and we sure there is no compatibility issue when you install the SteadyState on Virtual PC or Virtual Server. You can free download the Virtual PC, and then test your installation issue on the Virtual PC.

Virtual PC 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

Do you get the same issue when you install SteadyState on Virtual PC?

Please also try to install the SteadyState on the Windows XP SP2 host system, do you get the same issue? Do you get any error message when you install the SteadyState? Do you get any event error about SteadyState installation?

Additional, I’d like to let you know that we do not support the issue when Microsoft software running on a non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.

Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=897615

Thanks and have a nice day.

Monday, July 9, 2007 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hello CypherBit,

Based on your description, I know that you cannot install SteadyState on VMware virtual machine.

As you know, the VMware is a 3rd-party virtualization software, we are not very familiar with it. We have not test the compatibility about SteadyState on VMware. We cannot give you detail steps to troubleshoot the issue. Anyway, you can try to do a clean boot on the guest XP system and then try to install the SteadyState again:

To clean boot the problematic computer, please use the steps below:

a. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotation marks). Click OK.

b. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click to select the Selective Startup button.

c. Click to clear the check mark from the "Load startup items" below Selective Startup.

d. Click the Services tab, click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box, and remove all the check marks from the remained Non-Microsoft Services.

e. Click OK to close the MSConfig window. Click Yes when you are asked to restart your computer in order to enable the changes.

f. After restarting, please check whether this issue will reoccur.

g. If there are no more problems, please use the above steps to enable services and startup items one by one in order to figure out the root cause of this issue.

Of course, our Microsoft have hardware virtualization software (Virtual PC and Virtual Server), and we sure there is no compatibility issue when you install the SteadyState on Virtual PC or Virtual Server. You can free download the Virtual PC, and then test your installation issue on the Virtual PC.

Virtual PC 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

Do you get the same issue when you install SteadyState on Virtual PC?

Please also try to install the SteadyState on the Windows XP SP2 host system, do you get the same issue? Do you get any error message when you install the SteadyState? Do you get any event error about SteadyState installation?

Additional, I’d like to let you know that we do not support the issue when Microsoft software running on a non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.

Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=897615

Thanks and have a nice day.

Monday, July 9, 2007 8:51 AM
  • Terence Lui thank you so much for your reply.

I have no idea what has changed, but after numerous reboots of the guest, I tried and rebooted the host and managed to install SteadyState.

It works flawlessly. I tested by turning on Disk Protection rebooted, uninstalled a bunch of applications, rebooted again and they were all still there.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 8:28 PM