Relocate Q drive to seperate dedicated Partition RRS feed

• Question

• We are setting up App-V client on a Terminal Server.  I would like to have client Q drive be located on a dedicated Partition that resides on a separate hard drive spindle.   I would imagine this would give better performance if you have 40 users running an application separating the Q drive from the C drive.   Would it also make sense to relocate the SWIGLOBALDATA and SWIUSERDATA to a dedicated drive?  If no placement of the Q drive or these other files to s separate physical partition then everything just residing  on the C drive, this does not seem very practical for Terminal Service performance when you have a lot of users running these applications.  I would imagine there should be some proper documentation that explains proper setup of App-V in an enterprise TS environment however I am not finding any. Any info, documentation, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Below is my install

setup.exe /s   /v"/qn SWICACHESIZE=\"12144\" SWIPUBSVRDISPLAY=\"SCCMSERVER\" SWIPUBSVRREFRESH=\"on\" SWISKIPDATASETTINGS=\"false\" SWIGLOBALDATA=\"C:\AppVirt\Global\" SWIUSERDATA=\"^%APPDATA^%\" SWIFSDRIVE=\"Q:\""

Friday, September 25, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

See this thread, which is the MS recommendations for proper setup of APP-V in a TS environment
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvdocumentation/thread/7034b676-a92b-493f-82f2-7e18bb58239b

We have placed the globaldata on a SAN to have the possibility to expand the drive as we see fit, however from a performance perspective I do believe we would get better performance if placed natively.

The Q: drive can be assigned another drive-letter, but the storage would still be in the global data directory.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, September 25, 2009 9:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:47 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Yes, put SWIGLOBALDATA to separate drive to enhance performance as the cache file will go over there, but you probably do not need to touch SWIUSERDATA as the amount of I/O towards that location is much smaller.

And besides, user data directory have to point to user-specific location, so if you already have %AppData% (or %userprofile% or whatever you use for App-V Client data location per user) redirected it is being taken care of through that.

br,
    Klale
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:42 AM
  • I know you guys know this, but just to cover potential misunderstandings...

The Q drive listed in the installer command shown in the original post cannot be located elsewhere.  It is not an NTFS mounted partition, but a virtual drive backed by a file system driver (which we originally called the "jigsaw file system".  Ultimately, the driver uses a file on a real ntfs drive (the fsd file stored in the Global data directory) to store the sft's into.

When you pick a drive letter in the installer, as shown in the original post, you are actually requesting that that letter be used for this virtual drive, unless that letter is already in use.  If it is already in use, the installer will silently select the next drive letter availabe.  So if you mounted a share as Q: on that system prior to the install, you might end up with the virtual drive on R:.

If your goal in wanting to move this drive is simply to move that data onto a place with more ample storage, then Znack and Kalle address what you need.

If your goal is in wanting to store a single copy to be shared by multiple terminal servers, you are out of luck with the product today because the file sytem driver will want to open the fsd using an excusive read-write lock.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Cerw1n,

Has any of these answers provided you with the solution you were looking for?

/Kalle
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:22 AM