none
RAM not detected in XP SP3? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I'm using AMD Phenom tri-core processor. I use 4GB RAM for this and XP SP3.
    My problem is 4GB of Ram detected in boot up, but in the MyComputer properties it shows only 3GB.
    What is the reason? Is it XP not detected 1GB?
    I want to know whether my system uses 3GB RAM or 4GB RAM?
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:30 AM

Answers

•  As has already been said, 32-bit XP only recognises 4GB RAM total. From this it takes video card memory, audio card memory and anything else that has onboard memory (and the paging file), and then whatever is left over from 4GB is shown in the computer properties. As far as I am aware, any difference between this value and your total amount of RAM is not used due to a lack of physical memory addresses available to the processor. As you have a multicore processor, it is more than likely a 64-bit processor, so if you are able to, you should really upgrade it to a 64-bit version of Windows XP or Vista, if you want to fully utilise the RAM on your system. This is purely a personal choice, although I use 64-bit vista personally and have never had any problems.

I wouldn't disable the paging file at all personally, it will cause more problems than are worth it for the potential benefit.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:40 PM

All replies

• The maximum amount of memory that the 32 bit version of XP supports is 4GB. Windows accounts for the paging file in this value to.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

You could disable the paging file temporarily to see if it helps recognize the memory. I wouldn't recommend disabling it permanently though.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:48 PM
  •  As has already been said, 32-bit XP only recognises 4GB RAM total. From this it takes video card memory, audio card memory and anything else that has onboard memory (and the paging file), and then whatever is left over from 4GB is shown in the computer properties. As far as I am aware, any difference between this value and your total amount of RAM is not used due to a lack of physical memory addresses available to the processor. As you have a multicore processor, it is more than likely a 64-bit processor, so if you are able to, you should really upgrade it to a 64-bit version of Windows XP or Vista, if you want to fully utilise the RAM on your system. This is purely a personal choice, although I use 64-bit vista personally and have never had any problems.

I wouldn't disable the paging file at all personally, it will cause more problems than are worth it for the potential benefit.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Thanks,

How to find whether xp is 32 or 64 bit? It is not shown in mycomputer properties
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:07 AM
  • The very fact you are having this issue at all tells us you have a 32-bit version. Its very unusual for an OEM to ship a machine with a 64-bit installation of XP on it. In the My Computer properties, it would tell you under the Windows XP version if it was 64-bit. If it doesn't say 64-bit, its 32-bit.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Ok, Thanks
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:16 AM