Creating Certificate Signing Request in Outlook - Office 365 Home Version RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have bought an SSL Certificate from an external provider and I want to use this certificate to encrypt emails in Office 365 (Outlook). My version of Office is the Home, not business, edition.  I need to create a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) to obtain the certificate from my external provider and import it to Outlook.  How do I create a CSR in Outlook?  I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do this.  I phoned Microsoft support and the advisor didn't know either. 

Thank you.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hell Beth-Anne,

Which kind of certificate have you actually bought?
    To encrypt/sign mail traffic you need to use a client certificate for S/MIME in which your e-mail address is specified in the UserDN attribute.

From ypur description I assume you have bought a web server certificate in this case?

Best regards,

Chris

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

Please check in to see if the information of Chris Ehrit was helpful. 

>> I phoned Microsoft support and the advisor didn't know either. 
    Besides, it is also suggested to consult external provider for some advice.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 5, 2019 8:12 AM