none
Creating a Project through a custom Ideation List RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a custom list and there are quite a few items in there, but all of them will not be turned into projects. I was wondering is there a property or field value that gets populated after pressing the "Create Projects" button? I am looking for some way to differentiate between the items that have been made into projects and the items that have not.

Thank You

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Randy,

The process can be controlled through either approval tasks and/or a column in your list. An example is:

• when you are ready to create the project, select Yes in a new column/field for the selected item
    • then the workflow running in the background can check for that value and if it is yes then the project will be created in the project center.
    • The workflow can be triggered when items are created or changed

The flag and the workflow status can be used to group the items and/or hide the ones that have been transferred already to the project center

Paul

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:17 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately not. You could set a column (created as a project: YES/NO) dedicated to this purpose in the ideation list.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:02 AM
  • Yes I am actually trying to get a calculated or automated column that is populated when the item has been made a project. Because I do not want this to be done manually I was looking for the property to add to my IF-statement, thank you for your assistance.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Randy,

If this is project online, then there is a column introduced recently called the "MSPWAPROJUID", that gets populated whena  project is created from that list item. You can use to differentiate. This change is not available for On-Premises yet. See image below.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Proposed as answer by PinkFloyd72 Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

You can try implementing a simple workflow to create projects (instead of using the Create Projects option) and use the workflow status to see which items have made it to 'real' projects

Paul

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Thanks Prasanna, I am unfortunately using the On-premise version of project.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Paul,

I would use that method but our customers would like the project creation process to be done manually. At the same time they want to positive not to create duplicate projects for the same list item.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Hi Randy,

The process can be controlled through either approval tasks and/or a column in your list. An example is:

• when you are ready to create the project, select Yes in a new column/field for the selected item
    • then the workflow running in the background can check for that value and if it is yes then the project will be created in the project center.
    • The workflow can be triggered when items are created or changed

The flag and the workflow status can be used to group the items and/or hide the ones that have been transferred already to the project center

Paul

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Paul has a good advice here. That would be a good fool proof way to capture which items have been converted to Projects. This is the way I would go.

An alternative and VERY rudimentary filter is to use the "Mofified by = System Account". Looks like the background process of creating project modifies the item, via the System Account. You can hide these items or filter them out as soon as a project is created, so that no duplicates are created.

Cheers,

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:46 PM
  • Paul,

I agree with Prasanna, this is very good advice and something I did not think about, thank you very much. I will introduce this method to our customers and hopefully get some positive feedback.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:22 PM
  • Hi Prasana,

I cannot find the column in my ideation list in Project Online.

I am also trying to create a workflow that marks an item in the list as "Promoted to Project" once it is promoted.

Any help is appreciated.

Ross

----------------------------

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:19 PM
  • Ross,

You will need to modify the default view to add that field. While you are there, you could also add another column into the view called MSPWAPROJUID. See the picture below. 

Any idea that gets converted to project gets the project uid. Now you just need to set up a view which checks if this field is empty or not. You could also do a calcuilated field to write "promoted to Project" if the field is not empty.

Cheers,

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

This is not available in Project Online. We tried to get this field from REST api and SharePoint Designer workflow still it doesn't exist.

Please confirm.

Thank you and

Regards

Tanzim

Tanzim Akhtar

Monday, November 16, 2015 4:15 PM