none
Very slow queue performance RRS feed

• Question

• I have 20 projects in my Project Online environment, where some of them are pretty large, for about 3500 tasks.

Every taks has only 1 assignment user, mostly the same user.

We created an application with CSOM to send Status updates for tasks, the performance for processing these updates is terrible. When I send 1 status update (with an automatic approval rule) it takes about 3 minutes before the update is processed and the project is published again.

I also tried updating the status through the 'My tasks' view to make sure that CSOM was not the problem, but when I submit status updates from there it also takes about 3 minutes before all processing tasks in the queue are processed.

3500 tasks are a lot tasks, but if I read the documentation the max tasks per project are 400.000.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to speed up performance?

• Edited by Henro Nijboer Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:27 PM typo
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:27 PM

All replies

• I've had contact with the support center of MS Project and this is the answer the gave me:

I checked my resources here in my end and verified that it was just a normal behavior to take 1-2 minutes to publish a 4,000 tasks for a project. As I have mentioned awhile ago, the time of Updating the status will vary depending on the number of tasks on the project. Since we have a lot of task that needs to be uploaded on the project in will normally takes 1-2 minutes for all of it to be published.

Can someone confirm that this is really normal behavior? In my opinion this is a very bad performance when only 1 percent of the possible tasks per project are used.

Friday, October 20, 2017 12:17 PM
  • Hello,

What is the average duration of these tasks? Do you use bucket / hammock type tasks that are long than 2 to 3 months in duration etc.?

Paul 

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, October 20, 2017 12:51 PM
  • The average duration is about 60 minutes per task.
    Monday, October 23, 2017 5:30 AM
  • So to confirm the average task duration in your project schedule is 1 hour per task?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, October 23, 2017 7:39 AM
  • Yes, that's correct.

We use MS Project Online for the planning of tasks within a fabric. We are creating for about 20 pre fabricated walls per day, and for every wall there are between the 10 and 15 operations which are performed by the workers in the fabric. Every wall is unique, and every task has linked an unique drawing. That's the reason our projects in MS Project contains a lot of tasks.

Monday, October 23, 2017 8:06 AM
  • For testing purposed I have created a new PWA site with a new Project Online project within it.

In this project I copy / pasted 4072 taks, all assigned to me. When I submit a status update from the 'Task' overview it also takes 3 minutes before all queue actions are processed. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/1148660

Monday, October 23, 2017 12:33 PM