Syncing Start Menu: location of icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have an issue with keeping the appearance of the start menu synced with several VMs that I am running of Win10. Since they are copies, the sync does not appear to work (guessing there). Sync settings are all on under Settings. 

Is there a file or .reg setting somewhere that holds this info? Or in other words, how can I fix this without manually arranging the icons? 

Thx! 

Jiggy Gaton, Trainer and Media Consultant for Nepal and S. Asia

Thursday, September 1, 2016 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Jigyy,

To my knowledge, the icon of start menu is related to .dll file, simple copy and synchronization operation will not sync these icons’ settings.

In addition, Windows 10's start menu uses a Microsoft proprietary database, there is no folder.

When you click "All Programs" in the start menu, Windows shows all programs listed in its start menu database. The database is populated with items from multiple locations as fixer1234 described, but ultimately it is the contents of the database that are shown and not any specific folder(s).

We can find out the programs in start menu on these paths below, but for those customized icons, you need to arrange them manually.

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

On the other hand, if you want to all VMs use the same start menu, customize start menu layout is worth considering

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/customize-and-export-start-layout?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 2, 2016 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Jigyy,

To my knowledge, the icon of start menu is related to .dll file, simple copy and synchronization operation will not sync these icons’ settings.

In addition, Windows 10's start menu uses a Microsoft proprietary database, there is no folder.

When you click "All Programs" in the start menu, Windows shows all programs listed in its start menu database. The database is populated with items from multiple locations as fixer1234 described, but ultimately it is the contents of the database that are shown and not any specific folder(s).

We can find out the programs in start menu on these paths below, but for those customized icons, you need to arrange them manually.

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

On the other hand, if you want to all VMs use the same start menu, customize start menu layout is worth considering

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/customize-and-export-start-layout?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 2, 2016 6:20 AM
  • That last tip is exactly what I was looking for, thx! 

Jiggy Gaton, Trainer and Media Consultant for Nepal and S. Asia

Friday, September 2, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Gold to hear that my suggestion can be useful to your scenario, please mark the reply you think is helpful as answer, this way can help other forum user get the useful information, thanks for understanding.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:18 AM