none
Allocation of Resource RRS feed

• Question

• I have a task that will take 80 hours to complete.  I want the resource to work on this task for no more than 20% of time or 1.6 hours per day.  80 / 1.6 = 50 work days.  When I set the task to Manual it just uses a two week period as if the resource will be working 100% instead of 20%.  If I change this to Auto and constrain with a 'finish no earlier than' it moves the task to the last 2 weeks of the time period and adjusts the start date / time. 

What I would like to be able to do is to show this task will take 50 working days to complete an 80 hour task assuming the resource works on it at a level of 20% of time or 1.6 hours per work day.  After making the edits in PRO I would like to see this reflected in PWA.  How can I do this?  TIA.

scott howes

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Sckotty,

The tool perform on selection of algorithms based on our choices of options. So when you said a Fixed Work of 80 hrs - it means Effort Driven as I said in my initial post, hours would be equally divided between resources; so while adding and deleting of resources we have to also specify the choice to tool to accordingly adjust its dependent variables.

Following Steps you said -

1) A task of fixed work hours of 80 hrs, assigned to 1 resource at 20% allocation - lead to 50d duration.

2) Second Resource added to it at 20% allocation; this reduced the duration to 25 days (based on 2 Options provide to make adjustments - you would have opted for decrease the duration rather then increase the work resource per man hours.)

3) Actual Work updated to 20 hrs, this lead to 25% Complete of task;

4) Then you deleted the second resource, which mean you deleted the actuals of this resource, hence you reached at Actual Hours - 10 and % Complete as 13. Again the tool would give you 3 options as :

1) Increase duration so the task ends later but requires the same total work. [DEFAULT SELECTION]

2) Decrease the total work because the task requires less person-hours. Keep duration constant. [You would have selected this option due to which % Complete remained as 25%, Actual Hours 10hrs, Work Reduced to 40hrs, Duration remained as 25d (based on initial reduce to 25 d after 2 resource allocation)]

3) Increase the hours that resources work/day. Keep Duration and Work the same.

So, if you simply pressed "Enter" it will increase the Duration to 50 Days.

So, if the question was if each resource is working 25d? then answer is Yes. Each was supposed to work 25 Days at 20% allocation to finish 40hrs of work each.

Sapna S

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi there

There could be multiple methods to achieve this, try following method

a. Log on to Project Pro

b. Enter task name

c. Set task mode to Auto

d. Enter duration as 50

e. Insert work column and enter 80

f. set start date

g. add resource

You may see that resource allocation is displayed as 20%

Another way is to set the resource units to 20%, once task is configured, double click on the task and navigate to resource tab, update units column.

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, May 4, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Thanks Hrishi.  I was trying to put the effort of the task in as raw data - the 80 hours for the duration. The way you did it makes sense but it seems a little counter intuitive to have to do the math first - figure out the '50'. I would like to be able to enter 80 hours as the task duration based on total person hours.  Then if I were to assign more resources at a later time the timeline would adjust.  In this particular task I have a constraint to finish no sooner than.  So if I were to add an additional resource to the task it should start later. 

When I tried your approach it worked with one resource based on 20% came out to 50 days.  When I added another resource to the task at the 20% level, I expected to see a result of 25 days.  Instead it shows 10.94 days.  10.94 x 3.2 = 35.0. 

scott howes

Friday, May 4, 2012 6:40 PM
  • This is very easy to do.

Set the task type as Fixed Units, Effort Driven.

Set Work as 80h

Assign the resource at 20%

Observe duration calculates as 50d

Add another resource at 20%

Observe duration calculates as 25d

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:31 PM
  • That does not seem to work.  I must have something set up incorrectly.

I have added a work column and an actual work column.  I have set the work column value to 80 and the actual work column value to 8.

This is an auto scheduled task with the type as fixed units and effort driven is checked.

There is a finish no earlier than 5/31 constraint.

When I set the start to 2/17 and the end date to 5/31 it calculates 37% complete with one resource at 20%. I would expect the % complete to show 10%.

When I add one additional resource at 20% it moves the finish date to 4/27 even though the constraint is still in place to finish no earlier than 5/31. 

If I remove the second resource and leave the actual work to 8 hours it calculates a duration of 52.83 days and 10% complete.  When I add the second resource back in at 20% it calculates 28.4 days and shows percent complete at 19% even though the actual work column value did not change. 

I would like for it to do as you mention above, but it is not doing that. 

scott howes

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:54 PM
  • My answer was a solution to the original question.  Now you have added several elements.  My best recommendation would be to post your question on the Project Standard and Professional General Questions forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/threads

Project is behaving as expected, but I think you just need little help understanding how date constraints work, how actual work is treated, and the difference between % Complete and % Work Complete.  I'm certain that one of the experts on that forum will take the time to help you get it all straightened out.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Follow steps as below :

1) Create a Task T, set it as Auto, insert Work Column add 80 hrs. in it.

2) Double click on task to open Task Information, go to Advanced Tab - make Task Type as Fixed Work. This will be by default Effort Driven i.e. the moment a resource gets added its Work gets divided between them equally, hence adjusting duration accordingly.

3) Click on Resources Tab, assign first Resource and make Unit as 20%.

Result - this will create a 80 hrs task of 50 days on which a resource with 20% allocation is working.

Now, when you have to add another resource again double click on Task and follow step 3, assign Resource 2 at 20%. This will reduce the Duration to 25 days as you want to see, while Work remains 80 hrs.

Sapna S

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Thanks Sapna.  That seems to work initially but falters when you make changes.  Based on the above snippet it works.  However, when you delete one of the resources the hours of actual work are reduced by 50% (that makes sense).  But the duration does not change.  So in the above scenario the point where a second resource was added the days changed to 25 with each resource allocated at 20%.  Then I added 20 hours of actual work so the % complete came in at 25%, which was as expected.  Then I deleted the second resource.  The hours worked came down to 10 (expected) but the duration stayed the same as if 2 resources were working on the task - 25 days. Percent completion also stayed at 25% which is not correct based upon actual work.  I will read through the information you provided on the other thread and see if I can make sense of how this all works.  Thanks.

scott howes

Monday, May 7, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Hi Sckotty,

The tool perform on selection of algorithms based on our choices of options. So when you said a Fixed Work of 80 hrs - it means Effort Driven as I said in my initial post, hours would be equally divided between resources; so while adding and deleting of resources we have to also specify the choice to tool to accordingly adjust its dependent variables.

Following Steps you said -

1) A task of fixed work hours of 80 hrs, assigned to 1 resource at 20% allocation - lead to 50d duration.

2) Second Resource added to it at 20% allocation; this reduced the duration to 25 days (based on 2 Options provide to make adjustments - you would have opted for decrease the duration rather then increase the work resource per man hours.)

3) Actual Work updated to 20 hrs, this lead to 25% Complete of task;

4) Then you deleted the second resource, which mean you deleted the actuals of this resource, hence you reached at Actual Hours - 10 and % Complete as 13. Again the tool would give you 3 options as :

1) Increase duration so the task ends later but requires the same total work. [DEFAULT SELECTION]

2) Decrease the total work because the task requires less person-hours. Keep duration constant. [You would have selected this option due to which % Complete remained as 25%, Actual Hours 10hrs, Work Reduced to 40hrs, Duration remained as 25d (based on initial reduce to 25 d after 2 resource allocation)]

3) Increase the hours that resources work/day. Keep Duration and Work the same.

So, if you simply pressed "Enter" it will increase the Duration to 50 Days.

So, if the question was if each resource is working 25d? then answer is Yes. Each was supposed to work 25 Days at 20% allocation to finish 40hrs of work each.

Sapna S

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:49 PM