installing windows patches on a database & application server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a IT project manager with GLG group

What kind of processes is being applied in the enterprises working place. If the administrator wish to proceed with patching the windows server. what are the processes needed ?

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Crystal,

Well definitely there will be a IT processes for applying windows patches on a daatabase server or application server.

You can always refer to ITIL v3 for IT processes.

But usually what i reccomend to my clients are.

Before applying any patches. Since it is on a application or database server i assume you have a development box for your apps and DB server. Therefore the list of patches is always reccomended to list down in the change request form ?

Not sure if your existing company have such IT processes ?

The moment once Change request form was being put up. The administrator will then submit the change request to the application team for vetting. Upon approval from the apps team.

The administrator will then proceed to apply patches on the development box. Once patches was install successfully and monitor after a period of time. Then it will be wise to proceed to patch the Production applicaton or database servers.  the whole idea of this process is to minimise the impact on the application and database server. As both servers might be serving a critical role. And it will also allow IT auditing.

Hope the above explains. and give u some idea on how to proceed correctly. 

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i does not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Monday, May 23, 2011 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crystal Rays Monday, May 23, 2011 8:24 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Crystal,

Well definitely there will be a IT processes for applying windows patches on a daatabase server or application server.

You can always refer to ITIL v3 for IT processes.

But usually what i reccomend to my clients are.

Before applying any patches. Since it is on a application or database server i assume you have a development box for your apps and DB server. Therefore the list of patches is always reccomended to list down in the change request form ?

Not sure if your existing company have such IT processes ?

The moment once Change request form was being put up. The administrator will then submit the change request to the application team for vetting. Upon approval from the apps team.

The administrator will then proceed to apply patches on the development box. Once patches was install successfully and monitor after a period of time. Then it will be wise to proceed to patch the Production applicaton or database servers.  the whole idea of this process is to minimise the impact on the application and database server. As both servers might be serving a critical role. And it will also allow IT auditing.

Hope the above explains. and give u some idea on how to proceed correctly. 

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i does not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Monday, May 23, 2011 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crystal Rays Monday, May 23, 2011 8:24 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi Guowen Su,

Thanks for sharing. I would probably consider that.. I think you make a good point on stating the auditing portion.. i guess it will be helpful if IT auditors proceed to visit us.

I will try to implement that. do you have a sample template for me to refer at ?

in any case. thanks for helping.. i will vote your post as answers..

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Yup. you can provide me your email address ? and i will email it to you :)
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:50 PM