none
Assigned Access Edge On-Screen Keyboard Does Not Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

I am setting up "kiosks" at my organization for our staff to utilize as a Kiosk. I have written a web application that will be used by the kiosk for the user to perform various actions.

I have a Surface 3 with the latest version of Windows 10 Home (1709). When setting up assigned access, I noticed a few odd things.

1. I have read the Edge is supported, but it is not listed on an application to open with Assigned Access. I had to run a PowerShell command to set Edge for a local account. Refer to: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4fcb9202-a0f0-46ad-aab3-0cc22573cac7/windows-10-assigned-access-apps-browser-missing?forum=win10itprogeneral
    2. With the command above, I was able to set Assigned Access for Edge for the local account I created and managed to be able to open that account in "kiosk" mode, but when the page loads in I am unable to load the on-screen keyboard.
    3. I have tried various tricks to get the on-screen keyboard to work, but when I tap into form elements on a page in full screen edge. It just does not show itself.
    4. It seems that ANYTHING that is full screen in this Windows version refuses to open the on-screen keyboard when trying to click on form elements.

Please let me know your thoughts!
    Aaron

--Verified Windows 7-64-Bit User--

Sunday, February 18, 2018 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Aaron,

To my knowledge, there is not a Microsoft official document mentioned that Edge browser can be supported in kiosk mode now, just using IE as a workaround.

I checked the case you pasted in post, that command is not be verified in any Microsoft document, it’s not a marked answer.

Yes, you are able to set Assigned Access for Edge for the local account and can open that account in "kiosk" mode, but we don’t know if this way will lead to some unexpected issue.

Besides, we usually set up assign access in Pro and Enterprise editions, you are using Home edition, it’s not support.

About On-screen keyboard issue, you need to check its setting in Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 19, 2018 3:16 AM
  • Hi Teemo Tang,

In the Home edition, I am able to set up assigned access, no problems. But, like you said, I guess that Microsoft currently does not officially support Edge in kiosk mode at the moment.

I hope Microsoft doesn't limit assigned access, in the future, to Pro and Enterprise editions, as this is for a non profit, and resources for non profits are limited enough already.

To your point about the On-Screen keyboard, I am referring to the tablet mode native keyboard, not the Ease of Access on-screen keyboard that stays up.

If it doesn't work, then it just doesn't work and that's alright. I can wait for Microsoft to be able to support themselves.

Thanks for your help!
    Aaron

--Verified Windows 7-64-Bit User--

Monday, February 19, 2018 6:26 PM