none
consolidated project to single project RRS feed

• Question

• Using 2007 - I have a consolidated project with 2 subprojects that are linked with about 25 interproject links.

I need to decouple these and merge them into a single file.  I can unlink them in the Advanced tab in Task Information but that doesn't unlink the individual tasks.  How can I unlink the individual tasks and relink them to the appropriate task in the merged file?

gem1941

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:41 PM

Answers

• GEM1941,

If you're interested I have a macro that does this automatically, but it's not freeware. My macro converts a dynamic master file with cross-project links into a single static master with all the links converted to normal predecessors and successors.

If you want to know more, you can contact me at the address below.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

• Marked as answer by GEM1941 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:42 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:04 AM
  • I just got John's tool and I am conducting a couple of tests.  Initially, it works as advertised.  There is an issue with external links not a part of the consolidation.  More to come.

GEM

• Marked as answer by GEM1941 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:41 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:18 PM

All replies

• gem --

What I recommend is that you create some kind of document, paper or electronic, that lists all of the 25 cross-project links.  Once you have documented this, open your master project and expand the two subprojects.  Select each external predecessor task individually in the first project and then use the Control key to select each external successor task that is a direct successor.  Click the Unlink Tasks button to break the links.  After you have unlinked all of the external dependencies, save and close the master project.

To unify the two projects into a single project, complete the following steps:

1.  Open a new blank project and then click the first blank line in the project.
    2.  Click Insert > Project and navigate to the folder where you saved the two subprojects in the master project.
    3.  Select the first subproject and then DESELECT the Link to Project checkbox, and then click the Insert button.
    4.  Repeat step #3 for the second subproject (remember to DESELECT the Link to Project checkbox).
    5.  Expand each of the projects added to the file.
    6.  Save the new project using a slightly different name than the master project.
    7.  Using your document with cross-project links, relink the tasks in this new unified project.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:03 AM
  • GEM1941,

If you're interested I have a macro that does this automatically, but it's not freeware. My macro converts a dynamic master file with cross-project links into a single static master with all the links converted to normal predecessors and successors.

If you want to know more, you can contact me at the address below.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

• Marked as answer by GEM1941 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:42 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:04 AM
  • John,

thanks - i am interested.  i sent you an email, but just in case it doesn't go thru, here is mine:

gem3741@gmail.com

gem1941 (aka Glen)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Gem

I'm feeling thick - can you give a little more information about the projects here?  Is the set up that you have a master plan which contains it's own tasks + these two projects which are linked to each other + other places in the master file OR do you have a master plan which only contains these two sub plans and these plans only link to each other?

If it is the more simple method why not save the sub plans and master plan into a new location (so that you have a copy) and then open the master and change the inserted plans to "not linked".  This destroys the link to the external plans and merges the plans into the single plan (the "master" plan).

If you want to maintain visibility of the links which used to be between projects I would mark tham with a flag and a reference (flag1 and text1 for instance) so that you have a reference and way of filtering the plan to show these.  This is useful in case you want to create an off plan listing of the depenencies / deliverables between the plans.

If it is the more complex method I would use the same method but before de-linking the project plans I would eliminate the other tasks from the master plan etc unless they form a dependency / deliverable link with one of the sub plans (look for the extenal link marker).

Hope this helps.

Miles

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Other users,

For reference Glen contacted me directly and expressed interest in the macro I mentioned. If it meets his needs I assume he will close this thread.

John

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:36 PM
  • John --

Sounds good to me.  I trust the macro will help him.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:32 AM
  • I just got John's tool and I am conducting a couple of tests.  Initially, it works as advertised.  There is an issue with external links not a part of the consolidation.  More to come.

GEM

• Marked as answer by GEM1941 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:41 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:18 PM