A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3, The writer experienced a transient error - Microsoft Exchange Writer RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I have a problem and dont know how to solve it, recently i begun to recieve the following errors on the exchange servers.

9840, 9814, 2007 and 8229

The Exchnage Enviroment is Exchange 2010 RU 1

we have two exchange server "typical installation" on each site and 2 databases, 1 db is active on each server

A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3, The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried,

the error may not reoccur.

. Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer.

Operation:

PrepareForSnapshot Event

Context:

Execution Context: Writer

Writer Class Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}

Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer

Writer Instance Name: Exchange Information Store

Writer Instance ID: {b3558724-ac8b-43d2-820e-5a508a970af5}

Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\store.exe"

Process ID: 4972

The Error states that the database is already in backup mode, and the backup failed

my backup system is DPM, and i noticed that before the schedule backup starts at 12:00 AM the vss status goes to start and because of that the schedule backup couldnt happen as the VSS is already in start mode <This is my Thinking> please advice

• Edited by A. Al-Haffar Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:49 AM Edit
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to run the command below:

vssadmin list writers

Please check event viewer and then post the related detail error event here.

By the way, do you have antivirus application installed on Exchange Server? I recommend you to uninstall and then check the issue again.

Do you have auto grow option enabled for the SAN disk?

DPMAMService received two requests to grow for the same volume within of a period of 15 mins. In that case, the second request is rejected. If a new request comes after 15 mins, the volume will automatically grow. This is by design behavior.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 2, 2012 9:16 AM
  • when i issue vssadmin list writers, I Recieved

Microsoft Exchange Writer State [8[ Failed, Error : Retryable Error i have FSC installed, and FPE installed also in FSC i have config ured exclusions based on Microsoft TechNet site, the AN disk is not autogrow i have ober 58GB Free on the DB Partition the error i got are:

1- 9840 MSExchnageIS

An attempt to prepare the database 'Normal' for backup failed because the database is already in the process of being backed up. The error code is -2403. (Note that if a backup was recently aborted, then it may take several minutes for the system to detect the aborted backup and initiate backup cleanup procedures, so this message may be generated if an attempt was made to backup a database before a previous backup attempt had fully terminated.)

2- 9814 MSExchangeIS

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 1d0facf5-f5f5-4606-b3d9-b5870d09f9be:1565) failed with error code -2403 when preparing the database engine for backup of database 'Normal'.

3- 2007 ESE

Information Store (4972) Shadow copy instance 1565 aborted.

4- 9609 MSEchangeIS

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 1d0facf5-f5f5-4606-b3d9-b5870d09f9be:1565) failed with error code -2403 when preparing for Snapshot.

5- 8229 VSS

A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3, The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur. . Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer. Operation: PrepareForSnapshot Event Context: Execution Context: Writer Writer Class Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7} Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer Writer Instance Name: Exchange Information Store Writer Instance ID: {b3558724-ac8b-43d2-820e-5a508a970af5} Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\store.exe"

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:14 AM