none
Need to copy files from DPM Volumes folders RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to copy the Volumes folders from my DPM2012 for safe keeping offsite. I have been doing this for years with a batch file and the xcopy command under DPM2010. When I try to open the folders under C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\File System I get a couple of different messages. First "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." When I click Continue I get "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab." Then I get "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings. But I am listed as haveing full access to the folders. The only thing I see different is "Unable to display current owner." If i click change and make a change when I close explorer and reopen it changes back to "Unable to display." Could this be that DPM needs exclusive access to these folders?

I also have a desktop protected with DPM2012 and can access that drive listed as "Non VSS Datasource Writer" BTW I am running Windows Storage Server 2012 in a trusted domain (local).

Thanks,

RSG

Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, you should be running dpmbackup -replica to make read only snapshots of the Replica volume, then copy the data from under the shadowcopy folder.

Explorer may not let you navigate the folder structure, but you should be able to access it from an administrative command prompt and robocopy it. The only ones that will give you problems are BMR replicas because those are locked down pretty tight.

If you still get access denied using command prompt, or for access to BMR replica this is a workaround.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4)     You should be able to access the replica from under the ShadowCopy folder now. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:13 PM