none
DPM 2010 and Quantum RDX 8000 as long term storage. RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if the Quantum RDX 8000 was compatible with DPM 2010.

I would like to retain the "Cartridges" as long term storage as my Dell PowerEdge Tape unit has finally failed.

I have looked at Quantum's Website and they say that it is supported for Microsoft Native Operating system but no reference to System Center Data Protection Manager.

Any one have more information on it's support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

J.J.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 8:57 PM

All replies

• As per the announcement titled: "DPM compatible Tape libraries" on the top of the tape forum:

The guidance we're giving customers is if the tape library or standalone tape drive is listed on the Windows server catalog under the hardware / storage section and shows compatible with Windows 2008  x64 or Windows 2012 X64, then it should work fine with DPM 2010 / 2012 / 2012 Sp1.  http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Compatible tape libraries - Applies To: System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager, System Center 2012 SP1 - Data Protection Manager http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh916523.aspx

Also leverage the DPM 2007 compatibility list, anything on this list should work on DPM2010 if they have Windows 2008 X64 drivers.

System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 Tested Hardware http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/dpm/cc678583.aspx

If you cannot find support for the library, you can download and run the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=885774776d4f197a&sc=documents&id=885774776D4F197A%21128

For Standalone drive.
    =====================

Run the following command to list libraries attached to the system.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Run the following command, where \\.\tape######## is the symbolic name of the tape drive to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Tape2147483646 /SA

For tape library
    ================

Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5

Description of the tests.

Test 1: Basic Configuration This test will scan your system for attached devices. It will identify the libraries and the stand-alone drives attached to your system and give you a summary of what it finds. For each device, you will see a Device Name, Serial Number, Vendor Name, Product Name, Firmware Revision and SCSI properties. At the end of this test, the user must verify whether all the information as seen by the tool. If the information is incorrect, check the following: • Check if all the devices are listed in Device Manager. • Ensure that the drivers for the devices are up-to-date. • If the drive mappings are incorrect, use the DPMDriveMapping.exe to correct the mappings. If you do not have DPM installed on the computer, copy the DPMLA.xml that DPMDriveMapping.exe creates to the folder to which you extracted the Tape Library Certification tool.

Test 2: Mount/Dismount This test will pick a tape from the first available slot and perform a mount/dismount of that tape to/from a drive.

Test3: Drive Cleaning A cleaner cartridge in needed for this test to run. Please read the pre-requisites section for this test. If you are using Firestreamer or a VTL where you cannot remove/change tapes, please use the /ST flag of the tool to skip the cleaner test.

Test4: I/E Media This test will pick up the first available tape and move it to the I/E port and back. If your library/VTL does not have I/E ports the tool will automatically skip the test.

Test5: I/O This test will pick up the first available writable tape and write a few buffers to it and try reading what is written. The purpose of this test is only to check for reading/writing ability.  Any specific/transient errors in any drive have to be inspected using the Advance Mode.  Warning This test will overwrite information in the tape. Ensure that the first available tape does not have important data on it.

Once complete, for any test failures, review the  LibraryTestTool-*-Curr.errlog files located in the directory you ran the tool from.

Once the tool passes the tests, then DPM should be able to use the tape library for backups.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Unfortunately, none of the links actually help me. I don't own this device so that last solution would need for me to purchase this in order to "test".

Thanks

J.J.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

You might want to contact Quantum and see if they have already had that library certified for Windows but it's not yet in the catalog.  You could also ask them if they could run the library checker tool and see if it passes before you buy it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:15 PM
  • Thank you for your great article.

We borrowed an RDX8000 and tested it with Windows 2008R2 and DPM2010.

It does NOT work.

We used an RDX8000 with Firmware R1.33 0x39b6.

Once everythin is set up, the RDX8000 shows up in Windows Device Manager as "Unknown tape changer" and "Quantum LTO 4 drive drive" (driver missing). Once you install the missing Quantum LTO 4 tape drive driver (3.6.0.0) the LibraryTestTool shows the RDX8000 as a single drive instead of a library. Even for a single tape all tests fail.

In short, the RDX8000 with Firmware R1.33 0x39b6 seems unuseable with DPM2010

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Hi,

"Unknown medium changer" means you have not installed oem drivers for the library. Did you contact the oem to see if they had 64 bit windows drivers ?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:01 PM