none
Publishing RemoteAPP UAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I hope some can help me out here, I’ve been struggling with publishing Remote App trough the UAG.

This is how my test environment looks like.

External network: 172.16.41.0/27
    Internal network: 172.16.41.128/27

UAG server:

Name server: UAGTEST01.OASETEST.LOCAL
    External IP address: 172.16.41.7 
    Internal IP address: 172.16.41.157
    Member of domain OASETEST.LOCAL
    UAG version: 4.0.981.0 (RC0)

Domain Controller:

Name Server: OASE-SVR-01.OASETEST.LOCAL

IP address: 172.16.41.155 (internal network)

Domain: OASETEST.LOCAL

Terminal Server:

Name Server: OASE-SVR-02.OASETEST.LOCAL

IP address: 172.16.41.151

Domain: OASETEST.LOCAL

Further I have several test client machines: (all with the latest Windows updates and Remote Desktop clients)

PC1: Windows XP SP3 x86 (rdp v6)

PC2: Windows Vista x86(rdp v6)

PC3: Windows Vista x64(rdp v6)

PC4: Windows 7 x86(rdp v7)

PC5: Windows 7 x64(rdp v7)

Configuration UAG:

-       Installed 1 ssl certificate

-       Configured a portal with 1 remote app (calculator), did everything like in the online manual.

-       Configured 1 Authentication server (OASE-SVR-01)

On PC4 and PC5 I don’t have a problem, I logon to the portal and click on the calculator link, logon again and  I have the calculator.

By the way this works since I installed RC0 before with beta 2 this also did not work on Windows 7 clients.

On all the other machines (PC1 to PC3)when I logon to the portal and click on the calculator I get the following error:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer because the Terminal Services Gateway server is temporarily unavailable. Try reconnecting later or contact your network administrator for assistance.

I tried several other pc’s with Vista and XP sp3 but I keep getting the same error.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Leffie,

As we indicated in our documentation, the new RemoteApp and Remote Desktop features support only RDP 7 which is currently available only on Windows 7. When it will be available on other platforms, we would be able to support them as well. Meanwhile you can use the old RD client tunneling template to publish RDS.

We got the feedback on the unclear error message and it is planned to be fixed before the product release.

If you have additional feedback we would be glad to get it.

Thanks,
          Meir :->

Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Leffie,

As we indicated in our documentation, the new RemoteApp and Remote Desktop features support only RDP 7 which is currently available only on Windows 7. When it will be available on other platforms, we would be able to support them as well. Meanwhile you can use the old RD client tunneling template to publish RDS.

We got the feedback on the unclear error message and it is planned to be fixed before the product release.

If you have additional feedback we would be glad to get it.

Thanks,
          Meir :->

Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Hi Meir,

First off all thanks for your quick reply.

Further the online documentation states the follwing 

Remote Desktop Services.

Limitations for the RC0 release

There are a number of limitations for RDS publishing in this RC0 release:

• Remote endpoint access is not supported for clients running non-Windows operating systems. Endpoints must be running Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 6.1.
    • If an endpoint running the RDC client is issued a session cookie longer than 840 characters, the remote desktop connection will fail. This usually occurs if customized code adds cookies, or if you have enabled single sign-on across multiple Forefront UAG sites.

I asumed version 7 was only needed in case you want to uses SSO.

Anyway thanks.

If I find a way to get it working I'll lett you know.

Regards,

Levent

Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi Leffie,

Did you get some solution for this issue?

This computer can't connect to the remote computer because the Terminal Services Gateway server is temporarily unavailable. Try reconnecting later or contact your network administrator for assistance.

I am also getting the same issue on all the windows xp and windows vista machines I tested this with.

Any help is much appreciated.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:14 PM
  • This is fixed in the update 1 for UAG just released 12<sup>th</sup> April and looking at the fixed items I noticed this:

Remote Desktop access from Windows Vista and Windows XP: Client endpoints running Windows Vista and Windows XP can now access RemoteApps and Remote Desktops published through Forefront UAG.

Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG) Update 1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a862c57f-5c27-4cd0-8528-91b3cc5cd758&displaylang=en#filelist

So I have installed this on my repro machine and it seems to be working. However I had to restart the UAG machine to get it to work and it also looks like that it still fails on the first attempt from the Vista/XP client, but any subsequent attempts work. Maybe this is just an issue with my repro, but the customer with whom I was working on this issue, it worked for him, so you can also try this.

Basically the root cause of this problem is not with UAG, but with the RDP 7.0 client for XP & Vista. Basically the client doesn’t provide the session cookie to UAG when sending the Remote Desktop Gateway discovery request, so Update 1 now has some special handling for this to get the client to send the session cookie.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:00 AM