none
Windows Server 2012 R2 Broken Sysvol Replication

Question

• I created a GPO startup script yesterday on my windows server 2012 R2 DC.  I copied the script to the sysvol folder on one of my DCs. I configured it in the startup. I checked my 6 other DCs this morning and the GPO is there but the script is not in my sysvol folder and the GPO is not configured. Has any one ever seen this and know how to resolve it?

cshsysadmin

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check FRS or DFSR eventlogs on all DCs. And - possibly? - someone
    created a replication exception for your script's extension?

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:16 PM
  • I experienced a similar issue in different domains.

I created new policies or updated policies to do some things in another site.

When i had a look into the policy everything seemed fine but on the client only the old "version" of the policy was applied.

I then had a deeper look at it and found that replication had stopped working using DFSR SYSVOL replication. Stumbled across this KB article then which helped me with my problems (not using the hotfix as it is for W2k8 R2)

Hope this helps on your issue too!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:01 PM
  • We are currently using FRS because our domain level is windows 2003.  We are getting event is 13508 and 13509. 

Log Name:      File Replication Service

Source:        NtFrs

Date:          1/20/2016 9:47:28 AM

Event ID:      13508

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      xxx

Description:

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from xxx to xxx for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name xxx FRS will keep retrying.

Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name xxx from this computer. resolves

[2] FRS is not running on xxx. running

[3] The topology information in the Active Directory Domain Services for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers. replicated

Event ID:      13509

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      xxx

Description:

The File Replication Service has enabled replication from xxx to xxx for c:\windows\sysvol\domain after repeated retries.

cshsysadmin

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:20 PM
  • Hi,
    A single FRS event ID 13508 does not mean anything is broken or not working, as long as it is followed by FRS event ID 13509, which indicates that the problem was resolved. Based on the time between FRS event IDs 13508 and 13509, you could determine if a real problem needs to be addressed.
    You could find more details about Troubleshooting File Replication Service in the link as below:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727056.aspx

Besides, have you tried a non-authoritative / authoritative restore of SYSVOL?Please check the following article and have a try:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2218556

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:33 AM