Need eyes on a MiniDump File RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Gigbayte 970A-UD3, AMD FX6200, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB, OCZ 120GB Boot Drive

New computer.  New Install.  Loading apps and suddenly BSOD started.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6dc5544e28e7ef46&resid=6DC5544E28E7EF46!782&parid=6DC5544E28E7EF46!111&authkey=!AGmZvRtMXr6EqWU

I have posted the most recent dump to Skydrive and could really use help deciphering the cause.

Stephen

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:11 PM

Answers

• All fixed!  I uninstalled SP1 which stabilized the system.  I re-installed all the motherboard drivers.   Then I installed all of the MSFT Windows Updates EXCEPT for SP1.  Once the system was stable for a couple days. I added SP1 back to the system.  When the system rebooted and logged into Windows 7, the system tray notification window says that the USB controller devices were installed.  After that appeared stable I reconnected all of my remaining USB gear.  At this point I have been running stable for several days.  So i am considering this as a closed issues.  

Thanks to Gerry and Tracy for the input and support.

Thank you, Stephen

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:32 PM

All replies

• Stephen

Type System Information in the Search Box above the Start Button and press the ENTER key. What is BIOS Version / Date. You could well not have the latest BIOS.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#bios

Advice on reflashing BIOS:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

You should uninstall Easy Tune6 and install the latest version:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#utility

You most likely do not have the latest Realtek Audio driver,the Realtek LAN driver and the Etron USB 3 driver:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#utility

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Thanks Gerry.  As this is a new build I had loaded all the current Gigabyte drivers that you listed.  BIOS is F5.

I finally figured out how the link the Symbols in WinDebug and it processed the file....giving me a suspect...usbhub.sys.  So I have started the process of elimination...I removed the Manhattan card reader/writer and unplugged the built-in case USB cables from the motherboard.  So I will wait and see.

I saw no way to "upgrade" the usbhub.sys driver.

Also noticed that the Manhattan card reader had a LED on it that stayed on all the time.  I don't think that behavior makes sense but I cannot confirm it.  So we wait and see if it BSOD again as it was bombing about every hour or two.

Thank you, Stephen

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Well, four hours later it takes another dump...usbhub.sys again.  Not sure what to do here to troubleshoot.

Is this related to specific devices plugged INTO a usb port?

Thank you, Stephen

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Stephen

Are you sure that you updated your Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip? Your Realtek High   Definition Audio Function Driver -RTKVHD64.sys is dated 18.10.11.

Also your Gigabyte EasyTune6 driver-GVTDrv64.sys is dated 5.9.06. This should have been uninstalled and replaced?

I posted from wrong link earlier it should have been:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#driver

0x3 (Windows XP and later)
    The physical device object (PDO) of the stack
    The functional device object (FDO) of the stack. In Windows 7, this parameter points to the nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER structure.
    The blocked IRP
    A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time.

There’s more here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559329(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Thank Gerry.

Well, I will do it again and start with an Uninstall to ensure it is "clean".

I found so many partially related USB all tied back to SP1.  Again, I started building this new system and along the way it starting rolling over.  So, I have now backed SP1 out to see if it stabilizes.

But I will updates those drivers tonight.

Thank you, Stephen

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:54 AM
  • I backed out SP1 lat night.  So far...stable.  I want to reconnect my card reader and such and see what happens.

Thank you, Stephen

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Watching this space Stephen <G>.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Well, I have removed SP 1 and not a single BSOD.  I have added back in the Card Reader and reconnected all of the USB devices....No BSOD.  I don't know what to make of this.  What do I give up by leaving SP1 off the system?

Thank you, Stephen

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:41 AM
  • You end up with an out of date system which becomes more and more insecure. You retain all the uncorrected bugs. You will find things you want cannot be installed because you do not have SP1. It is not the way to go.

Have you carried out the suggestions I made on Tuesday?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hi ,

It is recommended to install Service Pack 1. If the BSOD appears again, you can try to boot into Clean Boot Mode and Safe Mode to narrow down the cause.

If it works fine in Clean Boot, the root cause can be the third party software. If the issue reoccurs in Clean Boot, but works fine in Safe Mode, the cause can be the disabled hardware drivers. You may narrow down the causes in Device Clean Boot.

Device Clean Boot

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Hope this helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Gerry,  I had installed the drivers from the Gigabyte site immediately after building the OS.  So i went back and uninstalled and re-installed the driver.  I found the old files you referenced and renamed them because there was more than on of the system.

I did run into a problem with the Easy Tune.  it would not un-install properly.  I used a tool to clean that up...not convinced...  Now it will not re-install.  it gets most of the way thru it and hangs in the same place.  Not sure where to go with that but would like to have that tool running.

Thank you, Stephen

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Tracy, Thanks for the additional information about Clean Boot.  That will help a lot.  I will cross my fingers and upgrade to SP1 again.

Thank you, Stephen

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Stephen

You could email Gigabyte support regarding the Easy Tune problem. Costs little and might get a result.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Gerry, Already done.  I am holding off with the SP1 upgrade until i hear back.  Solve one problem at a time....

Thank you, Stephen

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Ok, I lied.  Reinstalling SP1 now.  If I start having issues then I will use the advice from Tracy to troubleshoot.  Who knows long befroe gigabyte gets back to me on Easy Tune.

Thank you, Stephen

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Stephen

Is your other name George Washington?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Stephen

So how have things progessed?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:31 PM
  • All fixed!  I uninstalled SP1 which stabilized the system.  I re-installed all the motherboard drivers.   Then I installed all of the MSFT Windows Updates EXCEPT for SP1.  Once the system was stable for a couple days. I added SP1 back to the system.  When the system rebooted and logged into Windows 7, the system tray notification window says that the USB controller devices were installed.  After that appeared stable I reconnected all of my remaining USB gear.  At this point I have been running stable for several days.  So i am considering this as a closed issues.  

Thanks to Gerry and Tracy for the input and support.

Thank you, Stephen

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:32 PM