Sequenced application needs to have registry key updated on regular basis RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app packaged that has a registry key that is updated every couple of months. I included the current reg key into my package while sequencing. Now, in the future when the key is changed, i want to copy the new key into the registry to be used by the package. Here's what I've added to the .osd of my application.

<DEPENDENCY>
       <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="3.1.2.2"/>
       <SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" PROTECT="FALSE" WAIT="TRUE">
           <HREF>%SystemRoot%\regedit.exe /s "\\tsdipsdb\test\review.reg"</HREF>
         </SCRIPT>
     </DEPENDENCY>

When i run the application I get the desired results, the key is imported to the workstation I am running on. My question is whether the application will use the local registry entries copied in by the prelaunch script or will it only use the virtual registry contained in the package?

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:19 PM

Answers

• Since you have set PROTECT=FALSE, the application will use the registry key which is set inside the package. If you want to utilize the registry keys set by the OSD, then set PROTECT=TRUE and execute the application. I "hope" this will work.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:07 PM
  • You could also implement the changes via the OSD-file and set all the registry-keys via xml-tags.

Since your running them at logon it would probably give the same effect...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:51 PM

All replies

• Since you have set PROTECT=FALSE, the application will use the registry key which is set inside the package. If you want to utilize the registry keys set by the OSD, then set PROTECT=TRUE and execute the application. I "hope" this will work.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:07 PM
  • You could also implement the changes via the OSD-file and set all the registry-keys via xml-tags.

Since your running them at logon it would probably give the same effect...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:51 PM