Exchange 2010 to 2016 Migration with Coexistence and New namespace RRS feed

• Question

• Our current Exchange 2010 environment is using  a namespace that does not match the real mail domain, but it is used both

internally and externally because is a legal registered dns domain.

Current namespace  *.olddomain.com

Now we need to migrato to Exchange 2016 with a long coexistence with 2010, and take this oportunity to change namespace to the real mail domain: *.realdomain.com

For the migration we'll use two namespaces:  *.realdomain.com for Exchange 2016, and *.olddomain.com for Exchange 2010

I think that the use of two diferent namespaces will help us to keep new Exchange 2016 servers on the organization while we perform typical loadgen testing, without interfering with current Exchange 2010 users.

I guess that some changes must be done to the autodiscover scps maybe on Exchange 2016 to avoid current Exchange 2010 users to use the new Exchange 2016 servers.

Could anyone help me on this?  The goal is to keep the new Exchange 2016 infrastructure the most isolated possible until all the Exchange 2016 infrastructure is well tested and approved.

THANKS in advance.

• Edited by dangragar2 Sunday, May 7, 2017 6:52 AM changed fake domain names
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 12:18 PM

Answers

• Our current Exchange 2010 environment is using  a namespace that does not match the real mail domain, but it is used both

Now we need to migrato to Exchange 2016 with a long coexistence with 2010, and take this oportunity to change namespace to the real mail domain: *.realdomain.com

For the migration we'll use two namespaces:  *.realdomain.com for Exchange 2016, and *.olddomain.com for Exchange 2010

I think that the use of two diferent namespaces will help us to keep new Exchange 2016 servers on the organization while we perform typical loadgen testing, without interfering with current Exchange 2010 users.

I guess that some changes must be done to the autodiscover scps maybe on Exchange 2016 to avoid current Exchange 2010 users to use the new Exchange 2016 servers.

Could anyone help me on this?  The goal is to keep the new Exchange 2016 infrastructure the most isolated possible until all the Exchange 2016 infrastructure is well tested and approved.

THANKS in advance.

The best way to do this would be to set your AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri on the Exchange 2016 servers to the same as the Exchange 2010 servers.  This will make sure autodiscover will only hit Exchange 2010, which can't return any information from Exchange 2016.  Then you can configure your Exchange 2016 virtual directories for the new namespace.  For testing, as long as this is different than your SCP, you can use a host file and autodiscover.domian.com to your 2016 server.  Autodiscover will take a bit longer since it's going to have to run through all the different checks, but it should work.

Once you're tested flip all the Autodiscover SCP's to point to 2016 and you should be good to go.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Marked as answer by dangragar2 Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:14 AM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 1:50 PM

All replies

• One of the benefits of the Exchange 2016 architecture is that the namespace model can be simplified, when compared to Exchange 2010 - Namespace Planning in Exchange 2016

Changing Namespaces During an Exchange Migration:

Change the namespaces before beginning the migration to a new Exchange version
    Change the namespaces during the migration only if the new Exchange server is being installed into a different Active Directory site
    Change the namespaces after the migration to a new Exchange server has been completed

Get in detail here: https://practical365.com/exchange-server/changing-namespaces-exchange-migration/

Client Connectivity in an Exchange 2016 Coexistence Environment with Exchange 2010

Installing Exchange Server 2016 in co-existence with Exchange 2010

Hope this helps!

Migrate mailboxes, Public Folders, Outlook profiles and rules and GAL etc. to-and-fro Exchange Servers and Office 365 with LepideMigrator for Exchange

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Do you want to migrate the mailboxes cross domain or forest?

If so, we needn't to make any changes to the new domain's autodiscover or SCP.

Please refer to the following article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/33372.mailbox-migration-from-exchange-2010-to-exchange-2016.aspx 

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jason.Chao Friday, May 12, 2017 5:31 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:38 AM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 2:59 AM

THANKS in advance.

The best way to do this would be to set your AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri on the Exchange 2016 servers to the same as the Exchange 2010 servers.  This will make sure autodiscover will only hit Exchange 2010, which can't return any information from Exchange 2016.  Then you can configure your Exchange 2016 virtual directories for the new namespace.  For testing, as long as this is different than your SCP, you can use a host file and autodiscover.domian.com to your 2016 server.  Autodiscover will take a bit longer since it's going to have to run through all the different checks, but it should work.

Once you're tested flip all the Autodiscover SCP's to point to 2016 and you should be good to go.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Marked as answer by dangragar2 Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:14 AM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 1:50 PM
  • same forest and domain.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:11 AM
  • Ok, thanks it makes sense.

Could you give me an example of the powershell commands needed to change the scp records to point to exchnge 2010?, I've never changed autodiscover settings.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:13 AM