none
OSD problem with HP Elitedesk 800 G2 miniPC (65W) + Windows Professional 7 64-bit

Question

• Hello everybody!

So, we’re having problems with OSD into our new HP Elitedesk G2 miniPC model. Our environment is Windows Server 2012 R2 & SCCM 2012 R2. Here’s a little introduction of things which we have done:

- Boot image (x64) injected with NIC drivers, USB 3.0 drivers (these are needed, because if you don’t add these, you can’t use keyboard & mouse!), SATA drivers

- Installed Win 7 Pro 64-bit into G2 mini PC, installed desired programs (web browser, 7zip, etc.), made some configurations, installed all Windows updates, sysprepped and captured image from computer.

- Imported image to configuration manager

- Made very basic task sequence ‘Install an existing image package’ (I can provide pictures if someone wants to see TS steps)

When deploying OS from created task sequence, computer just starts TS (disk partition etc.), doesn’t download Win PE and ask to take off installation media and then reboot (did this before).

Here are error codes from different logs:

Smsts.log:

- Failed to save environment to  (80070057)

- Failed to save the current environment block. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.

The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)

- Failed to persist execution state. Error 0x(80070057)

- Failed to save execution state and environment to local hard disk

Other smsts.log:

- Failed to save the current environment block. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.

- Failed to persist execution state. Error 0x(80070057)

- The /target parameter specifies an invalid target location.

- Failed to run the action: Apply Operating System. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.

- The execution of the group (Install Operating System) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.

Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)

- Failed to run the last action: Apply Operating System. Execution of task sequence failed.

And another smsts.log:

- Failed to persist execution state. Error (0x80070057)

OSD fails in Apply Operating System task.

“Task Sequence: WIN 64-bit Installation has failed with the error code (0x80070057). For more information, contact your system administrator or helpdesk operator.

We haven’t changed anything from our previous OSD setup with G1. Network Access Account is OK, we can ping our SCCM server (in OSD from command prompt)… Unfortunately we can’t check the time from BIOS from G2 miniPC because the BIOS don’t show it. Tried changing different settings but to no avail. Googled error code (0x80070057) and been trying things for couple days, no progress. That’s why I’m writing here now and asking help from experts. Hope you have some fresh ideas because I'm out of those so PLEASE HELP!

Friday, December 18, 2015 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hello everybody!

Small update to this issue:

It seems that the problem was with 'Set Task Sequence Variable' task, more precisely with setting value to false. I've come to an understanding that this should be only used in case Windows deploys to some other than C-drive. And in case you are using default install.wim file for your deployment. This was not the case in our environment. We use captured (thick) image which we try to deploy to machines.

So, I've disabled previously mentioned task and deployment works....kind of.

- Windows PE downloads at the beginning of OSD

- Computer asks for reboot and remove boot media

- Computer boots

- Partitioning

- Downloading image + applying image

- Applying network settings

- CCM client install

- Trying to install packages and applications, this is where it fails. Kind of. OSD still goes on, even though I have not ticked 'Continue on error' box in package / app install task. Now trying to figure out what log to look and how to continue resolving this issue.

I am posting all this if anybody else stumbles to same problems. Mayby this will help somebody (when I resolve the root issue).

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:15 AM
  • You shouldn't create a reference image out of real hardware, consider building your reference image in a virtual machine instead.

For the deployment of the reference image, in your task sequence use WMI filters and driver packages for the specific model in case, this way you will get a dynamic task sequence that fits on any hardware (when you've got the correct drivers in case). For obtaining the drivers, you can install the specific OS manually to your hardware, install all the drivers and then use this tool: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-Driver-Injector-aae7d17d to grab the drivers for importing them to ConfigMgr.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:39 AM
  • We deploy only to 1 computer model, so that's why I've made the image in way its done. In future your way of deploying may be more handy when deploying to other computers as well. Is this MS best practice btw (just out of curiosity)?

Could you point me to right direction considering WMI filters and how to use them in OSD? I tried a little google search, but couldn't find any real source of info (e.g. technet article).

Thanks for the driver injector link! Will definitely use it for building future deployments!

Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:20 AM
  • It's generally the best practice to use VM for building reference images. For applying driver package, follow these guides: http://thedesktopteam.com/blog/heinrich/sccm-2012-r2-driver-packages-specific-driver-packages-to-specific-devices/ and http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/273/The-Drivers-Saga-continues-How-to-Master-Drivers-in-ConfigMgr-2012
    • Proposed as answer by yannara Saturday, January 2, 2016 7:04 PM
    Friday, January 1, 2016 7:49 AM
  • I think your issue would be easy to solve, if you would create the image in the right way. Now it could be almost everywhere.
    Saturday, January 2, 2016 7:14 PM
  • I think your issue would be easy to solve, if you would create the image in the right way. Now it could be almost everywhere.

Thanks for suggestion yannara. I will use VM to create reference images (thin & thick).

e: wrong account

Monday, January 4, 2016 10:31 AM
  • I have had the same issue. It is just the missing Ethernet driver that is needed for WinPE. There are a lot of articles that say to try using the command prompt and use drvload until you find the right driver (NDIS Win7, Vista, Win8 etc.). and then rerun the wpeutil initializenetwork bla blaa

For all examples it did not work out for me. So what I did next was get a new out of the box system and let it boot. From there I go to the Device Manager and lookup the installed windows Driver. In the details I resolve the HardwareID.

From there go to https://catalog.update.microsoft.com .

Paste in your driver wich starts with PCI\VEN.... etc. and let the catalog search. After the search is complete download the drivers. These drivers needs to be injected within your MDT/SCCM driver catalog. But also need to be inserted in your BOOT image!! This resolved my issue of a missing WINPE driver for the EliteDesk 800 G2.

Hope this will resolve your issue.

Also for other missing drivers (currently stuck on USb3.0) I am trying some testing with: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-Driver-Injector-aae7d17d

Regards,

Friday, February 5, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Hi guys,   

in our environment we had  the same problem, because our engineers  get new PCs.
    I was looking for best solution for us for OS Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise, test many options but the game with images & drivers was not good options. In the end we chose for this options (this are Re-Image steps, not OSD with SCCM):

1.) Create WindowsImageBackup to network drive or hard drive
    2.) If you need any driver (in my case I need network driver), copy them to SATA hard drive.  Important:  NOT USB external drive, but 'classic' SATA drive.  
    2.) Open Tower Elitedesk 800 G2, plug in this SATA hard drive, where you have drivers. Again: DO NOT USE USB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE! 
    3.) Turn PC on and Boot Windows from DVD
    4.) Chose options "Repair your computer"
    5.) Add drivers (in my case I need network driver because WindowsImageBackup was on network hard drive )
    6.) Re-Image your System 
    7.) Sysprep 
    8.) Update drivers, ofcourse! 

Thats all . 

I think, this is the most fast way how to get Windows 7 to Elitedesk 800 G2. 

Best regards

Ninja 4 IT

• Edited by Ninja 4 IT Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:30 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:19 PM