none
How can I specify different settings in CustomSettings.ini based on the OS that is being deployed? RRS feed

• Question

• I originally thought this could be achieved using "OSVersion" or "OSCurrentVersion" but (unless I'm mistaken) those variables are in fact tied to the OS from witch you actually launch the MDT Wizard right? i.e. say I run MDT from within Windows PE to deploy Windows 8. The "OSVersion" and "OSCurrentVersion" will contain values for the Windows PE instance that is currently running MDT and not the Windows 8 OS I am actually deploying right? Assuming that is the case then is there some variable in MDT that stores version information about the OS you are currently deploying? If so can I use that in CustomSettings.ini to specify different settings for specific OSes I deploy?
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi ZeusABJ,

I'm assuming that for each OS Version, you have a unique Task Sequence, if so you can bind those specific settings that you want to store in your CustomSettings.ini to the task sequence that you are running.

Modify your priority like this:

Priority = TaskSequenceID, Model, Default

[TSID1]
    Setting1
    Setting2

[TSID2]
    Setting3
    Setting4

Alternatively, you can put condition's on each step that you are executing, after the deployed OS is running.

As a last resort, in the BDD.log you can see all kinds on entry's and Task Sequence Variables, that can be used, perhaps there is something else that you can use, that suits you.

For example, the Unattended.xml get's updated with the image location (the Unattend.xml will learn the exact UNC location of the WIM image that you are deploying) perhaps you can fiddle a little bit with that.

Anyways, I think you have enough starting points to get yourself going!

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Rens,

First thanks for responding. Next please don't take my response the wrong way but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Maybe I'm just "doing it wrong" but I have used the TaskSequenceID trick in the past and thats actually where my problem lies. Too many people are recommending this course of action without including the caveats. Your response implies that using TaskSequenceID is as simple as just adding "TaskSequenceID" to priority and then creating entries based on the TSIDs themselves. In reality getting this to work is far more challenging. One needs to only check the following threads (and several others) for the issues other people are having when they try to use TaskSequenceID in CustomSettings.ini:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e17a1952-d1f7-41ef-8231-0d6fcc41882e/mdt-2012-settings-per-task-sequence?forum=mdt#f0810428-e6fd-468e-8c76-ca18b210c191

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/320aafee-07d2-4b96-9138-a902fec7edf5/mdt-2012-custom-rules-by-tasksequenceid-not-working-now

In fact, following the steps outlined here was the *only* way I was able to get TaskSequenceID to work for me:

http://www.the-d-spot.org/wordpress/2012/07/20/how-to-use-different-settings-per-task-sequence-with-mdt-2012/

Even then its causing some erratic issues in some areas like button lag in the Wizard because ZTIGather has to run twice and pre-checked Applications in the wizard still installing even if they are unchecked. Since my needs are more OS-specific (as opposed to Task Sequence specific) I was hoping for a better solution. I suppose I can check BDD.log but I was hoping someone here had already encounter this same issue and hit upon a solution they could share. 

Anyone?
    • Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP, Moderator Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ZeusABJ Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:09 PM
    • Edited by ZeusABJ Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:03 PM
  • I'm confused, why was my last post marked as answer? I'm still asking for assistance. Are we saying TaskSequenceID is the only way to achieve my goals?
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

Did you eventually find the answer to your question?

I am searching for the same thing. I need to specifiy certain settings in customsettings.ini, based on the OS being deployed.

Any thoughts?

Thursday, January 7, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Cou can't create OS-specific customsettings.ini, because Tasksequence could contains more than one OS-Version and because OS-Version will be only known (Gather) after "oobe"-Phase.

Therefore the only way to achieve your Goal is to create TaskSequenceID-specific Settings. This is correct (http://www.the-d-spot.org/wordpress/2012/07/20/how-to-use-different-settings-per-task-sequence-with-mdt-2012/), but as you said some times it needs to be run twice.

During Wizard, please do the following (it works):
    - Choose Tasksequence, Next
    - Provide Computername, Next
    - Previous then previous pane again and choose tasksequence again and fill Wizard.

Hope this helps

Thursday, January 7, 2016 2:21 PM