May 2016 MS updates cause Bittorent application to crash RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Win 7 Pre, 64bit, on an H77 mobo, i5 cpu, & Nvidia graphics. All of my drivers were up-to-date and the OS was up-to-date prior to installing the patch Tuesday updates for May 2016. The updates installed fine and my PC is working well except for the following problem. The application Bittorent (version 7.9.5.) crashes when it's opened with a message like "bittorent cannot run, a crash dump has been created" and gives me the option to close program or relaunch. 

I had the exact same problem on my laptop running Win 10 Pro with utorent.

Thus, I think that something in the May updates casued bittorent/utorent not to run.  I was able to deal with this by installing the most recent version of bittorent (7.9.7) which runs fine.

Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly, does anyone know what caused this? I suspect it was caused by an update dealing with drivers.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Greggoz53,

According to your description, I find that May 2016 Compatibility Update for Windows 7 x64 include three files, Appraiser.sdb, Appraiser_data.ini and Appraiser_telemetryrunlist.xml. This update provides updated configuration and definitions for compatibility diagnostics performed on the system. The updated definitions will improve accuracy and help enable Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers.

For some third party software, if we don’t update the files. maybe it could cause some incompatibilities. We suggest that we could update these software to the latest version.

In addition, we can collect the dump file about the crash to do analyzer to see in details.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 13, 2016 11:02 AM